Turn on thread page Beta

NG Tube at college watch

Hi everyone.
    I am fed through an NG Tube each night and have to keep it in all the time as everything I have goes down it.
    I am starting college in September and woundered if anyone would comment or say anything about it when I get there.
    I'm just really nervous about meeting people with it in. I know it's just a tube but sme people can be so rude.
    Anyway thanks for any help/advice you can give me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone.
    I am fed through an NG Tube each night and have to keep it in all the time as everything I have goes down it.
    I am starting college in September and woundered if anyone would comment or say anything about it when I get there.
    I'm just really nervous about meeting people with it in. I know it's just a tube but sme people can be so rude.
    Anyway thanks for any help/advice you can give me
    Tbh, most 16-18 year olds might be immature about it.

Just ignore any stupid comments and don't feel self conscious about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really concerned, you could speak to your doctors about alternative feeding methods that are less conspicious.

Some people probably will comment, but it's mainly through ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure from your post whether your tube is used much during the day/ during college hours? If you're just fed overnight as your post started off by saying, then is there any way you could be taught to self-pass your NG tubes? I was NG-fed for a year & a half, and after a while I used to pass an NG tube on myself every night and then take it out every morning so I appeared 'normal' during college hours. Have PEGs been discussed with you?

If your tube is used during the day, is there anyway you could fit 'meals' around college hours if you're not full time? Depends on whether you get hungry without it/ struggle to get enough calories in over a 24 hour period?

To be quite honest, taking my tube out so much was mostly for how I felt about myself. I went quite a while with keeping it in all the time, and I was shocked at how little people stared at me. I'm not going to lie and say no one will comment, but honestly, very few people do stare I found.

Good luck with starting at college - if you've got any questions or anything, please feel free to drop me a message or whatever.

(Original post by No Future)
    Tbh, most 16-18 year olds might be immature about it.

Just ignore any stupid comments and don't feel self conscious about it.
    Thanks for your reply.

(Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    If you're really concerned, you could speak to your doctors about alternative feeding methods that are less conspicious.

Some people probably will comment, but it's mainly through ignorance.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes my doctor is talking to me about having a PEG put in.

(Original post by Shorty1992)
    Not quite sure from your post whether your tube is used much during the day/ during college hours? If you're just fed overnight as your post started off by saying, then is there any way you could be taught to self-pass your NG tubes? I was NG-fed for a year & a half, and after a while I used to pass an NG tube on myself every night and then take it out every morning so I appeared 'normal' during college hours. Have PEGs been discussed with you?

If your tube is used during the day, is there anyway you could fit 'meals' around college hours if you're not full time? Depends on whether you get hungry without it/ struggle to get enough calories in over a 24 hour period?

To be quite honest, taking my tube out so much was mostly for how I felt about myself. I went quite a while with keeping it in all the time, and I was shocked at how little people stared at me. I'm not going to lie and say no one will comment, but honestly, very few people do stare I found.

Good luck with starting at college - if you've got any questions or anything, please feel free to drop me a message or whatever.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have over night feeds but also have to put fluids down and my medication 4 times a day, so at the mo it's not really practical to keep taking the tube in and out.
    Yes my doctor is discussing havig a PEG put in which will have to happen just not sure when.
    I am on 16 hour feeds so most proberbly will be starting college in the morning still on the previous nights feed.
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I think it's something people will look at, only because it's not something that they usually come across. I was fed through an NG tube, for a while, and I think people are just curious. Most people wont have the guts to ask about it though.
    If you're really worried about it, can they take it out and put it back in when needed. I did that for a bit.
    Good luck

(Original post by broken_rose)
    In all honesty I think it's something people will look at, only because it's not something that they usually come across. I was fed through an NG tube, for a while, and I think people are just curious. Most people wont have the guts to ask about it though.
    If you're really worried about it, can they take it out and put it back in when needed. I did that for a bit.
    Good luck
    Thanks for your reply.
    I can't really take it out every day as I have my night feeds going through it and then I have to put medication down it 4 times a day.

ReputationRep:
    I see, I guess 4 times makes it a bit too complicated! Good luck though and I hope it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    Don't you go to school now? How do people react to it? That is how you can expect people to react to it in college.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of tube do you have? I know you can get clear ones and yellow ones - I was told by people that had yellow ones that I was very lucky to get clear ones because you couldn't see them as much. So that's something to look into/ discuss with doctors & dieticians until you can (hopefully) get a PEG if posssible.

It goes without saying that you can still see them, but they're not quite as obvious. Certain tapes are more obvious than others too - and I found taping it to my nose rather than cheek was less obvious. Just little things that might make it that tiny bit easier.

Also, to 'Pink Bullets', whatever the reason the OP has an NG tube for, it may well be that he/she has been too unwell to attend school since having the tube and perhaps has been home tutored. I had to have a year off school when my feeds were started as I was very, very unwell.

Really do wish you all the best!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    You can dm me if you want, I had a tube for a few months in school and I would be happy to answer any of your questions

(Original post by broken_rose)
    I see, I guess 4 times makes it a bit too complicated! Good luck though and I hope it all goes well
    Yep it does really, thank you

(Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Don't you go to school now? How do people react to it? That is how you can expect people to react to it in college.
    No i'm not in school now, I have finished school, started college but then had to leave because my health deterierated so they put in the NG tube.

(Original post by Shorty1992)
    What kind of tube do you have? I know you can get clear ones and yellow ones - I was told by people that had yellow ones that I was very lucky to get clear ones because you couldn't see them as much. So that's something to look into/ discuss with doctors & dieticians until you can (hopefully) get a PEG if posssible.

It goes without saying that you can still see them, but they're not quite as obvious. Certain tapes are more obvious than others too - and I found taping it to my nose rather than cheek was less obvious. Just little things that might make it that tiny bit easier.

Also, to 'Pink Bullets', whatever the reason the OP has an NG tube for, it may well be that he/she has been too unwell to attend school since having the tube and perhaps has been home tutored. I had to have a year off school when my feeds were started as I was very, very unwell.

Really do wish you all the best!
    xx
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have got the yellow tube. I didn't know about clear tubes so I will ask my consaltant about them next time I see him. Yes they are planning on putting a PEG in so it would be good if they did that before college but not sure when they are doing it yet.
    I have a very good tape, it's clear and friends say that they can hardly see it.
    I did finish school, started college but then had to leave because my health deterierated and thats why I ended up with the NG tube.
    I hope that all is going well with you
    Thank you very much

(Original post by Sweet by and by)
    You can dm me if you want, I had a tube for a few months in school and I would be happy to answer any of your questions
    Thank you, I will do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.