This discussion is closed.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
I still don't see why not. All I used it for was the fact that we stop people damaging society usually, why not stop public schoolers damaging society? As alot of people were saying "BUT OMG PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPEND ON WHATEVER THEY WANT." alot.
Well, let's leave all the analogy stuff and critical thinking arguments alone. I still don't see how public schools damage society.
amexblack
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Quite frankly you're too thick to follow my logic.
you're too late, i caught it.

So exactly how is the logic in those analogies any different to the logic in your analogies?

And, quite frankly, I think it is the general consensus that you are the thick one around here.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Well, let's leave all the analogy stuff and critical thinking arguments alone. I still don't see how public schools damage society.
fishpaste thinks public schools damage society because teachers would prefer to work in public schools. I think he refers to this as "poaching".
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
How can an education be intermediate? An education is not something which itself can be split into timeframes, it is something continual throughout one's life.

Back to your original post ....

Simply because you are at cambridge, and that half of the students at cambridge are from state school, you imply that public school is a waste of money (presumably because, hey, if you can get into Cambridge from a state school, what the hell is the point in going to a private school?!) . My point is that you have seemed to missed the point of public school entirely - and that it's not all about getting a place at cambridge. The playing fields, swimming pools, tennis courts and boathouses .. what are they? worth spending money on? Sure, some parents might send their children to public school purely so that they will get into oxbridge. But the vast majority simply wanted the best facilities and the best education for their children. That doesn't seem in the least bit odd to me.
So, you've obviously never heard of primary or higher education? Life is not continuous in itself - slight contradiction there - and it can be split into timeframes! If the point of a public schooling has simply come down to boathouse access and tennis court provision then so be it, but my old school had tennis courts! You may as well pay a boat club, not a school. It does sound appealing, however. I chose not to go to a public school (RGS - the school Corey attends) so that I could remain with my primary school friends.

Ben
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you want to do bad impressions of me instead of reasoning my argument otherwise, then go ahead, be an idiot.
Okay, this entire sentence demonstrates nicely your intelligence ("reasoning my argument otherwise"?! anyone care to translate?). I wasn't doing an impression of you, I was merely demonstrating your inane logic. And you have yet to explain to me how my illegalise Fat People & Photocopiers arguments are any different to your ban public schools argument.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
you're too late, i caught it.

So exactly how is the logic in those analogies any different to the logic in your analogies?

And, quite frankly, I think it is the general consensus that you are the thick one around here.
Fishpaste has also failed to understand that we live in a capitalism - not communist - society.

At least the Motherland would welcome him.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm sorry. I called you thick, I'm just a little angered by your inability to follow the rules of a logical debate. "You either accept the point, or argue it otherwise." Instead of this, all you're doing is doing is taking the mick and not addressing it. Personally I think it's because you know you're 1 step away from cornering yourself into the point of no return, as Tek did when he admitted that everything else which damages society is controlled apart from TVs.

The only analogy I drew was that poaching from the state sector is like poaching from the third world: wrong. The other things you are mistaking for analogies are just counterexamples to your belief that people can spend on whatever the hell they want.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Okay, this entire sentence demonstrates nicely your intelligence ("reasoning my argument otherwise"?! anyone care to translate?). I wasn't doing an impression of you, I was merely demonstrating your inane logic. And you have yet to explain to me how my illegalise Fat People & Photocopiers arguments are any different to your ban public schools argument.
Bad language is not a sign of low intelligence. If you want to show I'm stupid, then either show that private sector education doesn't damage the state sector, or show that the government has no role on controlling damaging behaviour.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bad language is not a sign of low intelligence. If you want to show I'm stupid, then either show that private sector education doesn't damage the state sector, or show you that the government has no role on controlling damaging behaviour.
Well, the rules of debate that I'm accustomed to say that the owner of the statement is obliged to prove his or her point. It is not for the other debatees to disprove it.

If the CPS charges me for murder they try to convince the jury that I am guilty of the crime. They have to prove their case. I don't have to prove my innocence.

Since, "public schools damage society" belongs to you, I think you are obligated to justify it. And frankly "because they poach teachers from the public sector", by which you seem to believe that teachers are somehow owned by the State, doesn't cut much ice.

What about doctors? Many work privately. Are they damaging society too?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, the rules of debate that I'm accustomed to say that the owner of the statement is obliged to prove his or her point. It is not for the other debatees to disprove it.

If the CPS charges me for murder they try to convince the jury that I am guilty of the crime. They have to prove their case. I don't have to prove my innocence.

Since, "public schools damage society" belongs to you, I think you are obligated to justify it. And frankly "because they poach teachers from the public sector", by which you seem to believe that teachers are somehow owned by the State, doesn't cut much ice.

What about doctors? Many work privately. Are they damaging society too?
Yep.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yep.
Oh. I thought they were treating people in the private sector as well.

So, if they're not actually practicing medicine in the private sector (which they are and which I'd have thought would be "helping" rather than "damaging" society) what are they doing all day? Sitting around playing 5 card brag?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh. I thought they were treating people in the private sector as well.

So, if they're not actually practicing medicine in the private sector (which they are and which I'd have thought would be "helping" rather than "damaging" society) what are they doing all day? Sitting around playing 5 card brag?
Once again, consider a really experienced, clever surgeon, imagine he was the only person in the country able to perform a life saving operation. I don't really see why Jimmy McPoor should die because JemimaMcMiddleClass had £80k in the bank.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bad language is not a sign of low intelligence. If you want to show I'm stupid, then either show that private sector education doesn't damage the state sector, or show that the government has no role on controlling damaging behaviour.
I don't condome swearing as I think in most cases its pointless unless a swear word is used to 'sex' somthing up. Anyway I read a report from the saying that the middle classes at university swear more than the working classes! The kind of swearing that tends to happen in rough areas is different. That is just pointless swearing were they don't know anything different such as "I'm go'in down the fu**ing shops" that kind of thing. Saying you're "you're f**king sexy" or "I f*cking love you" is different in my opinion because its just bold.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I don't condome swearing as I think in most cases its pointless unless a swear word is used to 'sex' somthing up. Anyway I read a report from the saying that the middle classes at university swear more than the working classes! The kind of swearing that tends to happen in rough areas is different. That is just pointless swearing were they don't know anything different such as "I'm go'in down the fu**ing shops" that kind of thing. Saying you're "you're f**king sexy" or "I f*cking love you" is different in my opinion because its just bold.
Just like the middle classes drink more, take more drugs, and have more sex.
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
If the point of a public schooling has simply come down to boathouse access and tennis court provision then so be it, but my old school had tennis courts! You may as well pay a boat club, not a school. It does sound appealing, however. I chose not to go to a public school (RGS - the school Corey attends) so that I could remain with my primary school friends.

Ben
The tennis courts and boathouses were only examples. I don't want to show off and list every other advantage. I just want to make it clear that Public Schools aren't a waste of money. They aren't because they offer so much more than state schools.

Of course you can pay for memberships to squash clubs, and rowing clubs, and tennis clubs, etc... But the point is public school encompasses all this. And parents pay so that their children have these benefits. Simply because you can get into cambridge from a state school does not make the alternatives a waste of money , which is what you first said.

I don't like it when people say public school is a waste of money. They are not looking at the bigger picture. They are assuming that any school's purpose is only to and get children into Uni (and As at a level).
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Once again, consider a really experienced, clever surgeon, imagine he was the only person in the country able to perform a life saving operation. I don't really see why Jimmy McPoor should die because JemimaMcMiddleClass had £80k in the bank.
Well, considering he's the only person in the country who can perform this surgery and his time is obviously finite (in that he can't possibly operate on two people at the same time) it seems to me he's not actually "destroying society" by performing the operation on either is he?

Or, are you saying that performing the operation on Jimmy McPoor is a service to society while doing the same operation on JimmyMcMiddleClass is a disservice to society?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just like the middle classes drink more, take more drugs, and have more sex.
I think you'd better justify that one too!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, considering he's the only person in the country who can perform this surgery and his time is obviously finite (in that he can't possibly operate on two people at the same time) it seems to me he's not actually "destroying society" by performing the operation on either is he?

Or, are you saying that performing the operation on Jimmy McPoor is a service to society while doing the same operation on JimmyMcMiddleClass is a disservice to society?
All I say in this case is money should not be the deciding factor at any point.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think you'd better justify that one too!
Light comment
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All I say in this case is money should not be the deciding factor at any point.
then why bring up the ****ing surgeon in the first place?! You originally tried to use it as yet another frivolous argument against public schools. Now you say all you meant by it is that money should not be able to buy the right to live. hahaha.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.46%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.31%
No- I want it (102)
27.49%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.74%

Watched Threads