This discussion is closed.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Even though the private schools are taking the best resources?
But we don't pay for them, so who cares?
Eggy Hog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Please expand. In what way are we taking the best resources?
Granted the best teachers are recruited by the private system, more often than not though these teachers would not want to teach in the state system anyway.
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm at Cambridge - it's about 50:50 state:independent here. Paying an extortionate amount of money for an intermediate education (which doesn't seem to make much of a difference) is a bit odd - but people are free to waste their money as they see fit.

Ben
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
Granted the best teachers are recruited by the private system, more often than not though these teachers would not want to teach in the state system anyway.
Indeed. I believe there are no 'best teachers', all can obviously teach... however a good teacher to me isn't someone who can mark books and help us learn but someone who disciplines a class. Which in private schools is much more easier so this doesn't mean they get the best teachers.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That actually isn't the real world, I mean if you ever have to mix with the proles.`
Oh right, btw my mum is a state school teacher, she went to a state school. All my aunties, uncles from that side are state school educated.

My girlfriends grandad went to a state school. He is the 64th richest man in the country.

Both I believe fit under your description of 'proles'.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
These Private schools need to be removed, they are nothing more than bastions of elitism.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
But we don't pay for them, so who cares?
Who is "we"?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
I'm at Cambridge - it's about 50:50 state:independent here. Paying an extortionate amount of money for an intermediate education (which doesn't seem to make much of a difference) is a bit odd - but people are free to waste their money as they see fit.

Ben
I will be going to Cambridge later this year. People pay it because you get a better all round education, people forget that.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You will find a lot of the best teachers work in the rough inner city schools as they would rather help the disadvantage than the rich.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
These Private schools need to be removed, they are nothing more than bastions of elitism.
Oxford and Cambridge only recruit the ablest candidates. That's elitist. They should also be banned then.
honestly ...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Teachers are what I'm mainly referring to. Being students, I'm sure we all know what a difference a good teacsher makes. It's true that some teachers wouldn't work in the private sector, period, but many good teachers in the private sector are attracted by the increased pay and perks of working in a private school, leaving the state sector baron of experience and talent.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
You will find a lot of the best teachers work in the rough inner city schools as they would rather help the disadvantage than the rich.
Which rather defeats the point then that public schools monopolise the best resources
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
I will be going to Cambridge later this year. People pay it because you get a better all round education, people forget that.
You mean the less intelligent can achieve higher grades?

My sister goes to a grammar (ok selective but still paid for by the state) and she is predicted 3 A's and 1 B in her A2s.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Who is "we"?
All of us. Don't tell me I'm not old enough to pay tax.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The key word is 'independant'. Many of these schools have been producing gentlemen and ladies for centuries without the help of the government. Nothing to do with the government.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Teachers are what I'm mainly referring to. Being students, I'm sure we all know what a difference a good teacsher makes. It's true that some teachers wouldn't work in the private sector, period, but many good teachers in the private sector are attracted by the increased pay and perks of working in a private school, leaving the state sector baron of experience and talent.
Has it occured to you that many teachers at public (private) schools wouldn't have become teachers had the private system not existed?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
Is that always the case though? If people want to use their money to hire hitmen or build up a nuclear arsenal, is that also fine? I see the private sector as being an ill in society, along with things like weapons.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oxford and Cambridge only recruit the ablest candidates. That's elitist. They should also be banned then.
honestly ...
The most able is actually not the same as 'the richest.'
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
You mean the less intelligent can achieve higher grades?

My sister goes to a grammar (ok selective but still paid for by the state) and she is predicted 3 A's and 1 B in her A2s.
What?

My sister goes to a state grammar. She is predicted straight A's. And?

Grades dont mean anything in life if you have the will power to exceed. My girlfriends grandad is just a prime example of that.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
honestly ...
Intellectually elitist yes, but private schools are socially elitist.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads