This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ben.S.)
No - it's not. It's unfortunate, but perfectly legitimate. I wish I knew how private schools 'taught better' - do they 'coach' intensively for exams?

Ben
Legitimate because that's the laws of this country, do you not agree it's ethically wrong though?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Exactly that is why I am make my case for comprehensive schools because they provide you the alternative education. Not some forumula some scientest invented 300 years ago or ethics of a Shakespere play. Comprehensive schools are about survivial and making good use of limited resources.
Sadly, in many cases I think you mean "an alternative TO education"
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
And rich pushy parents who bribe their children with money and the future promise of success.
Warped Daily Mail idea of public school. It probably does happen though
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
Warped Daily Mail idea of public school. It probably does happen though
Whatever.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Legitimate because that's the laws of this country, do you not agree it's ethically wrong though?
More to the point. don't you think it's ethically wrong for governments not to invest more money in state education?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, isn't not being able to spend your money as you see fit ethically wrong too?

If parents want to send their kids to private schools, and can afford to do so, then what the hell has it got to do with anyone else?
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whatever.
Do you go to public school? Are you placed to comment?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
More to the point. don't you think it's ethically wrong for governments not to invest more money in state education?
I'm not sure. I'd like to see the result of a redistribution first.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you go to public school? Are you placed to comment?
So are you telling me that all the students parents, live off benefits and do not motivate their children with money?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Well, isn't not being able to spend your money as you see fit ethically wrong too?

If parents want to send their kids to private schools, and can afford to do so, then what the hell has it got to do with anyone else?
If mad scientists want to build nuclear arsenals, then what the hell has it got to do with anyone else? Point: private schooling doesn't just effect the individual, it effects the rest of society.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not sure. I'd like to see the result of a redistribution first.
Excuse my ignorance. What is there to redistribute?
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Exactly that is why I am make my case for comprehensive schools because they provide you the alternative education. Not some forumula some scientest invented 300 years ago or ethics of a Shakespere play. Comprehensive schools are about survivial and making good use of limited resources.
I agree 100% about surviving and making good use of limited resources. The first year for me was the toughest... but I survived that and now I'm in Year 11 and not doing that badly...
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)
Hohoho, what a twisted view of education you have. You seriously believe that parents send their children to public school simply so that they will get into and perform well at a good university?

I don't think I need to spiel out the proper benefits of a public school education, but I will if you need to be enlightened. This "intermediate education" (which, to me, is a paradox in itself) is not simply about achieving As at, frankly, trivial A Levels. That's not what an education is about.
Paradox? Nope - I don't think I created one of those just then. Unfortunately, those trivial As are exactly what public schools are about - it's all league-table orientated. What is an education about to you? To get into a good university, you need to be educated!

I believe that certain parents could not send their offspring to any state school for fear of losing face in front of other 'upper-class' people. Personally, I hate that term - people are people. We are all arrangements of the same basic components.

Ben
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So are you telling me that all the students parents, live off benefits and do not motivate their children with money?
Please don't put words in my mouth. I am sure what you describe happens. At my school, I have never witnessed it though
curryADD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
The labour government is so hypocritical if we believe in equality in education surely we should abolish independant schools, does this not make sense?

(im sorry im american) are independant schools the ones funded by the gov. or not?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Sadly, in many cases I think you mean "an alternative TO education"
I didn't mean that, education is still important but it is not the most important factor. The most important factor of a child and growing up should be happyness. A lot of people in private schools go because they are forced to and would much rather be in a comprehensive (I am not saying most, just some).

I did learn a lot from society by going to that 'bad' school. I have learn't to consider myself very lucky and well off and very fortunate to have given given the chance to go university. It may only be Salford but its this kind of background which will ensure I won't waste a single second of it and try and get the best grade I can.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Excuse my ignorance. What is there to redistribute?
Education resources - teachers, buildings, facilities.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If mad scientists want to build nuclear arsenals, then what the hell has it got to do with anyone else? Point: private schooling doesn't just effect the individual, it effects the rest of society.
Well, sorry but chosing to spend your own money (money you have earn't) on what you want (your kid's education) is just not the same as building a nuclear arsenal is it?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Please don't put words in my mouth. I am sure what you describe happens. At my school, I have never witnessed it though
Yes in State run schools but not in private schools.

I am for private/grammar schools, but the students have an easier time.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
(im sorry im american) are independant schools the ones funded by the gov. or not?
Private schools. Not publicaly funded.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (475)
59.38%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.38%
No- I want it (229)
28.63%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.63%

Watched Threads