Independant schools Watch

This discussion is closed.
Eggy Hog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Education resources - teachers, buildings, facilities.
People who attend public schools are charged 15 000 pounds a year for a reason. It's not the government that pays for the extra facilities
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Yes in State run schools but not in private schools.

I am for private/grammar schools, but the students have an easier time.
I wouldn't necessarily agree that students have an easier time... it really depends on the school and other aspects of life... also depends what comparison you're making...

EDIT: Actually I do think they get an easier time, I've had a lot of bad experiences and had my self confidence stripped from me, but I'm a much stronger person than I was before, more confident and speak my mind a lot more...
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Well, sorry but chosing to spend your own money (money you have earn't) on what you want (your kid's education) is just not the same as building a nuclear arsenal is it?
Both activities damage society, do they not?
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes in State run schools but not in private schools.

I am for private/grammar schools, but the students have an easier time.
No offence intended but could you express yourself a little more clearly?
What exactly are you trying to say?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No. They don't.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No. They don't.
So you do not agree that depriving the state sector of good teachers is damaging society?
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
No offence intended but could you express yourself a little more clearly?
What exactly are you trying to say?
You said you'd never seen it happen in private schools and I said but it does in state schools.

Then I said that I think grammars/privates should stay but the students get an easier time that those at states generally.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No. They don't.
I'll caveat that before some pedant picks up on it! Private schooling does not damage society. Teams of mad scientists building up an illegal stockpile of chemical warheads do!
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
teams of cambridge scientists might have damaged society
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You said you'd never seen it happen in private schools and I said but it does in state schools.

Then I said that I think grammars/privates should stay but the students get an easier time that those at states generally.
I agree
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not in the same context... but how do you mean... like in the segregation of society? But if we are talking about that then what about schools for only Catholics or Jewish people are they not just as damaging to society in seperating the community?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
I agree
depends on who u are though - some students fit in well at state schools
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So you do not agree that depriving the state sector of good teachers is damaging society?
No. The state sector is not being deprived of "good teachers" but a lot of "good teachers" prefer to work in the private sector.

Since when did we believe the state ought to have a monopoly on employing teachers?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My sister is certainly had a quite easy time at her grammar. She does revise a lot to be honest but she hasn't had to put up with the constant bullying that I had to.

However all this just means I can cope better with really bad stuff.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Not in the same context... but how do you mean... like in the segregation of society? But if we are talking about that then what about schools for only Catholics or Jewish people are they not just as damaging to society in seperating the community?

Not in segregation, (although they do increase income inequality as a whole and increase relative poverty). But by poaching the best resources.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No. The state sector is not being deprived of "good teachers" but a lot of "good teachers" prefer to work in the private sector.

Since when did we believe the state ought to have a monopoly on employing teachers?
Oh they 'prefer' to, do they? Oh would that be anything to do with the £5000 increases in salary these teachers get? Or perhaps the acres of lush fields where they can their lunch in peace. IT'S CALLED POACHING, WE POACH TEACHERS FROM THE THIRD WORLD, WE POACH TEACHERS FROM THE STATE SECTOR.

That's what I'm arguing, I'm arguing it for the sake of equity.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not in segregation, (although they do increase income inequality as a whole and increase relative poverty). But by poaching the best resources.
They're not poaching the best resources. Teachers do their teacher training and have a choice where they want to work. What are you saying? That all these teachers should be owned by the State?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They're not poaching the best resources. Teachers do their teacher training and have a choice where they want to work. What are you saying? That all these teachers should be owned by the State?
Yep, exactly.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh they 'prefer' to, do they? Oh would that be anything to do with the £5000 increases in salary these teachers get? Or perhaps the acres of lush fields where they can their lunch in peace. IT'S CALLED POACHING, WE POACH TEACHERS FROM THE THIRD WORLD, WE POACH TEACHERS FROM THE STATE SECTOR.

That's what I'm arguing, I'm arguing it for the sake of equity.
Yes. Most people would prefer to work for someone that pays $5000 a year more than someone else. Believe it or not, people go to work to earn money to do such selfish things as pay their mortgages, and not for the benefit of society.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes. Most people would prefer to work for someone that pays $5000 a year more than someone else. Believe it or not, people go to work to earn money to do such selfish things as pay their mortgages, and not for the benefit of society.
I'm so glad you finally agree with me, poaching
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (809)
80.42%
Leave (197)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed