This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
No. They should be able to spend their money as they freely please so long as it's legal.
No no no. You just said my analogies were flawed. Now demonstrate it.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Did I say it was as bad? Or are you making gross assumptions of my statements in order to avoid my reasoning?
Well, in fairness you did call it a RELEVANT COMPARISON. From that statement what am I to deduce?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, in fairness you did call it a RELEVANT COMPARISON. From that statement what am I to deduce?

That there is a common principle between them, not necessarily identical in magnituide.

We use extreme examples all the time to identify flaws, did you not learn that in critical thinking AS?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No no no. You just said my analogies were flawed. Now demonstrate it.
Well, they are ****in flawed aren't they? How do you compare the detrimental effects on society of crack addition to private education?

You justify your analogy.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That there is a common principle between them, not necessarily identical in magnituide.

We use extreme examples all the time to identify flaws, did you not learn that in critical thinking AS?
No. I didn't do "critical thinking at AS"
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, they are ****in flawed aren't they? How do you compare the detrimental effects on society of crack addition to private education?

You justify your analogy.
They both damage society to some extent, not necessarily to the same extent. That's my justification, I don't think anything more is required. You assumed the rest.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No. I didn't do "critical thinking at AS"
Well now you know, extreme examples are good for identifying flaws in generalised statements, as demonstrated.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well now you know, extreme examples are good for identifying flaws in generalised statements, as demonstrated.
Don't patronize me. I'm just a iddy biddy bit better qualified than you.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They both damage society to some extent, not necessarily to the same extent. That's my justification, I don't think anything more is required. You assumed the rest.
Crack cocaine and public schools are completely unrelated things; you just can't compare the damage crack cocaine causes to society with the damage (if there is any) that public schools cause. It's an example of what we debaters call an "amazingly bad analogy".
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't patronize me. I'm just a iddy biddy bit better qualified than you.
Okay sorry. YOu didn't patronise me.

Lawyer perhaps?

Amexblack patronised me with his "perhaps he should do critical thinking" comments, I feel that my analogies have stood so far, and nobody has managed to show that they don't share that common principle.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Crack cocaine and public schools are completely unrelated things; you just can't compare the damage crack cocaine causes to society with the damage (if there is any) that public schools cause. It's an example of what we debaters call an "amazingly bad analogy".
I still don't see why not. All I used it for was the fact that we stop people damaging society usually, why not stop public schoolers damaging society? As alot of people were saying "BUT OMG PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPEND ON WHATEVER THEY WANT." alot.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Smoking damages society.
Chewing gum, when spat out onto the pavement, damages society.
Cars damage society.
Television damages society.
Alcohol damages society.

So should we be banned from using these things?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Smoking damages society.
Chewing gum, when spat out onto the pavement, damages society.
Cars damage society.
Television damages society.
Alcohol damages society.

So should we be banned from using these things?

Did you ever do economics?

All of these things are heavily controlled by the government to drastically reduce their consumption. I'd be equally happy with a 400% tax on private education as is the case with many of those things.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did you ever do economics?

All of these things are heavily controlled by the government to drastically reduce their consumption. I'd be equally happy with a 400% tax on private education as is the case with many of those things.
Since when has television ever been "heavily controlled by the government to drastically reduce its consumption"??
amexblack
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Okay, here are a few fishpaste-analogies ....

in texas fat people should all be condemned to death, like serial killers are. fat people damage society by putting a stress on the health system. serial killers damage society by killing society(!!), they are put on death row. why not fat people??

photocopiers should be made illegal because the ozone they release is detrimental to the atmosphere. cars without catalytic converters are also detrimental to the atmosphere, and they're illegal. why not photocopiers??

There are countless ridiculous, flawed "fishpaste" analogies. Plonker. Fat lot of good Critical Thinking did for you.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Since when has television ever been "heavily controlled by the government to drastically reduce its consumption"??
Television is the probably the exception. It's probably not controlled because it can be educational. You might even go on to argue it's a powerful tool for them, and to have a TV in every home suits them quite well. Either way, the rest of those things are, and you've really proved my point, you've agreed that it damages society, you've pointed out that things which damage society need government intervention, and so how can you not accept that private education, like these things, needs reduced consumption?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)

in texas fat people should all be condemned to death, like serial killers are. fat people damage society by putting a stress on the health system. serial killers damage society by killing society(!!), they are put on death row. why not fat people??

photocopiers should be made illegal because the ozone they release is detrimental to the atmosphere. cars without catalytic converters are also detrimental to the atmosphere, and they're illegal. why not photocopiers??

There are countless ridiculous, flawed "fishpaste" analogies. Plonker. Fat lot of good Critical Thinking did for you.
If you want to do bad impressions of me instead of reasoning my argument otherwise, then go ahead, be an idiot.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amexblack)

Yeh. Here's another one:

Smoking should be banned! It causes global warming, which is bad! Ban smoking!
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Television is the probably the exception.
I thank you.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I thank you.
So I'm right?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads