The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick LLD2 or UCL L1RR?????

Hey guys,

I'm from Boston and hold offers from St. Andrews and UCL (I got rejected from Oxford and LSE). I just got an email from Warwick that my application is STILL under review and that I'll hear from them promptly. Assuming that I get into Warwick for LLD2, how does that compare to UCL L1RR. Frankly, I never knew that L1RR is taught by SEESS faculty until I got my acceptance letter in early November...learning econ with East European focus from not-so-qualified tutors doesn't appeal to me at all and so I was wondering if it would be smarter for me to choose LLD2 at Warwick over L1RR at UCL. Yet, as an international student, Warwick's low reputation internationally compared to UCL's 4th place on the intl uni rankings bothers me just as much as the thought of studying L1RR at UCL...what do you guys suggest I do?

I wouldn't have had to worry about any of these if I were to get accepted to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. But unfortunately enough, I got rejected from all three so I decided that I shall study in the UK as of yesterday...At any rate, how easy is it to transfer to another department at UCL such as Law or Econ? and at Warwick for a diff course such as Finance and Accounting? Lastly, will any of these courses be able to prepare me for Investment Banking??
Reply 1
Original post by ajrhimann
Hey guys,

I'm from Boston and hold offers from St. Andrews and UCL (I got rejected from Oxford and LSE). I just got an email from Warwick that my application is STILL under review and that I'll hear from them promptly. Assuming that I get into Warwick for LLD2, how does that compare to UCL L1RR. Frankly, I never knew that L1RR is taught by SEESS faculty until I got my acceptance letter in early November...learning econ with East European focus from not-so-qualified tutors doesn't appeal to me at all and so I was wondering if it would be smarter for me to choose LLD2 at Warwick over L1RR at UCL. Yet, as an international student, Warwick's low reputation internationally compared to UCL's 4th place on the intl uni rankings bothers me just as much as the thought of studying L1RR at UCL...what do you guys suggest I do?

I wouldn't have had to worry about any of these if I were to get accepted to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. But unfortunately enough, I got rejected from all three so I decided that I shall study in the UK as of yesterday...At any rate, how easy is it to transfer to another department at UCL such as Law or Econ? and at Warwick for a diff course such as Finance and Accounting? Lastly, will any of these courses be able to prepare me for Investment Banking??

LLD2 is a lot more technical/mathematical than all your other options, so it will be tough.

In terms of your last question, all people I know who applied to banks got a place. I'm starting at BoA Merrill Lynch on Monday. UCL/Warwick are good enough and there is a negligible difference between them.

These are the reported figures for the Deutsche Bank SW

8 - Warwick
4 - Oxford
3 - Imperial
2 - LSE (lolwut?)
2 - Cambridge
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Focus08
LLD2 is a lot more technical/mathematical than all your other options, so it will be tough.

In terms of your last question, all people I know who applied to banks got a place. I'm starting at BoA Merrill Lynch on Monday. UCL/Warwick are good enough and there is a negligible difference between them.

These are the reported figures for the Deutsche Bank SW

8 - Warwick
4 - Oxford
3 - Imperial
2 - LSE (lolwut?)
2 - Cambridge

Congrats on the job? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ajrhimann
Hey guys,

I know how you feel about the Ivy rejections (I am practically in the same seat, although I did get waitlisted at Yale). However I will most probably be firming my Warwick offer (LLD 2 as well) because it is near impossible to get off the waitlist. But I will wait it out until end of May, haha.

Regardless, I don't think you should focus too much on the difference in rankings. Warwick is still a big name internationally, and recognised for its academic excellence. I don't know too much about UCL, but Warwick has so many things going for it. For example, because I will be majoring in Economics, the Warwick Economics Summit seems to be fantastic, as well as the Warwick International Development Summit. These are just two things of my list of things that I am using to persuade myself that Warwick is the place for me. (I was expecting to end up in the US, so I have just had to change my mindset a little bit). As an avid MUNer I also love the fact that WARMUN exists.

I have an acquaintance who goes to Warwick who was in the same situation as I was in (read skeptical), but she loves.

In regards to UCL, if you aren't interested in Eastern European Studies, wouldn't the course be kind of less useful to you? Although I must admit I have no idea how transfers work within the universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending