Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

City or South Bank for mental health nursing degree? Help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Argh! I am in a quandary. I have two offers: City and South Bank. I know South Bank scout around the bottom of the league table. When I went there for interview, only 4/20 passed the seriously easy maths and literacy, which concerned the hell out of me. But, I liked it there. And their placement hospitals are near me. It's going to be hard going and I think that's a big plus.

City are better academically, and I like academia. But they're quite far from me, and I didn't like it that much when I visited.

I've heard nothing but bad things about LSBU, and not much about City. Can anyone help, any opinions, have you studied there? I need to make my mind up and I'm totally torn!

ReputationRep:
    Why? I didn't get a good vibe from there at all, and their placements involve me travelling for over an hour each way a day. I know it's better academically, but LSBU has a lot going for it in terms of their placements.

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to people the fact you have to travel an hour for a placement its a NO and imagine if you do shifts no ones gona argue city is better academically but if your gona be happier in lsbu than you should go and nursing i dont think worship league tables so thats a plus for you, i have a friend and family members who go to lsbu and they all love it. my friend used to be extremeley shy almost unhealthy but since she started lsbu shes so confident has loads of friends from all walks of life. But city has the rep

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's the problem really. City's rep is great, and academically they're better and I love the academia. I dread being stuck with people who don't give a toss and I've heard a lot of bad things about LSBU on that count. But their placements are in the trusts I want to work in eventually (the SLaM trust) and round the corner, whereas City's I don't care too much about and are far away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brain_opera)
    Argh! I am in a quandary. I have two offers: City and South Bank. I know South Bank scout around the bottom of the league table. When I went there for interview, only 4/20 passed the seriously easy maths and literacy, which concerned the hell out of me. But, I liked it there. And their placement hospitals are near me. It's going to be hard going and I think that's a big plus.

City are better academically, and I like academia. But they're quite far from me, and I didn't like it that much when I visited.

I've heard nothing but bad things about LSBU, and not much about City. Can anyone help, any opinions, have you studied there? I need to make my mind up and I'm totally torn!
    If it means anything my sister is doing Childs Nursing at South Bank and absolutely loves it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Anyone else want to chip in?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Anyone else want to chip in?
    Are you going to be living at home then? I am going to City, I don't see a problem with the placements, they will all be very similar. Placements change all the time so the uni cant always guarantee placements. You will have to travel a fair bit for some placements, not all can be on your doorstep
    Employment wise City is better. When you apply for jobs, degrees from top universities will be offered jobs more than people with the same qualification than 'lower' unis
    Academia goes with placement. If a university doesnt have a good academic side to it then placement wont be that helpful if you are not taught the theory correctly. Having said that if London South Bank were not good at teaching nursing they wouldnt be allowed to teach it. Studying nursing is very similar everywhere as it is moinitored and controlled by the NHS and the nursing and midwifery council.
    So really it is down to personal choice and where you were most happy

ReputationRep:
    Yep, will be at home. I live in Denmark Hill, which is very close to LSBU and its placements at the Maudsley (if they place me there- there's also Lewisham, close-ish, and Bethlem, far). My decisions are slightly biased in favour of travel because I have a Freedom Pass due to disability. I can't use it on overground trains before 9.30am, which I'd have to for City and its placements, because I don't live near a tube station. Not paying for travel would save me over £100 a month.

ReputationRep:
    I still can't decide. The ease of placements (and SLAM being great for mental health) at LSBU, or the reputation of St.Barts. ARGH.

ReputationRep:
    CITY.

ReputationRep:
    City! Not heard the best things about LSBU nurses tbh.

ReputationRep:
    What have you heard?

Placements are a BIG issue. City's are very far away, I can't stress this enough! It would be downright difficult for me to get home after lates.

ReputationRep:
    What have you heard?

Placements are a BIG issue. City's are very far away, I can't stress this enough! It would be downright difficult for me to get home after lates.
    I don't know much about the two uni's in question but from what I can see you're swinging towards LSBU, which in your position, I would be too. My reasons for this are, the travel, travelling far every day will actually begin to make you unhappy and think what if, and tbh I don't think that would be the best situation to be in. Also you say you want to work in the trust you would have placements in at LSBU then you would actually have a slight more chance of getting a job than having done placements elsewhere as you know the trust and how it works and will have contacts. Another reason I would choose it is academia isn't everything, if you work hard and make something of your time at uni you can do well anywhere and I personally believe with a qualification in nursing, a first is a first no matter where it is gained from. Lastly I believe personal happiness to be a big factor in choosing a uni and from what I can see LSBU would be a better option regarding placements etc and I think you could be really happy there.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you x

To anyone else reading, these are my personal views, please don't judge me for them.

ReputationRep:
    What have you heard?

Well just go to LSBU then.

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of things you have already chosen LSBU, so just firm it on your UCAS.

Yes City is better and you may get a better academic education there however you would be unhappy there because as you said "placement are a BIG issue"

If you want someone to say LSBU is the better uni then you are going to be disappointed because it is not going to happen. It seems that whatever people say about City or LSBU you will still argue that you need to be close to placement so might as well just firm LSBU.

Just firm LSBU so you can start looking forward to September.

ReputationRep:
    Been on two placements, the HCA's on my last ward said the LSBU nurses they'd met were awful. Not a generalisation, just my own experience. Go there if it's easier for you, nursing is a demanding course.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, really?

I'm doing MH nursing and LSBU's placements were better. I firmed there but City said I can change my mind if I want to. Quite frankly I want to sack it all in, I don't want to go to either of those unis. LSBU *is* ****. City's placements for MH nurses are ****, as is their support for students with MH problems. My innate dislike of City came after a lecturer openly laughed at the idea of students with MH problems even being on their course at a Birkbeck progression evening. It was incredibly unprofessional and it caused the whole auditorium to laugh. I didn't want to go somewhere like that.

I'm sorry I'm angsting so much in this thread. I hoped as time passed I'd begin to feel good about the choices I had, but I don't.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day it is about where you will do the best and have the best time.

As far as we all know we only get one life so you might as well do the things you enjoy and if you will enjoy LSBU more then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    hey sorry to be really out of the question but am having an interview in LSBU next week can i ask what sort of questions they've asked you? much appreciated thanks.. xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.