Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How racist is Russia?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

On a scale of 1-10, how racist is Russia? Please help, I am really scared!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really know since I've never been there.

I wouldn't say it's the opposite though. I've heard quite a few stories of racism in RUssia.

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, to be honest - pretty bad.

Maybe a 7-8
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All I say say is I have heard stories. There must be some Russians on here though. But it could be one of those things when you get there you find its ok. People said Mexico could be dangerous I was out there for awhile and wass fine. Although a hotel I was in at one point was guarded by men with M16's.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross E)
    Uhm, to be honest - pretty bad.

Maybe a 7-8
    That bad?! I'm screwed. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RTengo)
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

Don't worry. There are many African girls at Moscow. I remember I've visited one Uni, there are every second from Africa. And many of them live near the Uni.
    Once I had to visit local library, many girls who read books overthere were African. I'm not quite sure that all Africans overthere speak English. When I was going from metro to Uni, there was place near the monument where set two African chaps and smoked something. I really don't know what they have smoked exactly, but when they saw me, they stood up and started to cry me something in some language I have never heard before. In six hours when I was returning back, from Uni to metro, but another side of the street, I saw that they sat overthere again, and again smoked something. Rather interesting: somebody studies at libraries all the time, and somebody sit near the monument and smokes something all the day. But they all came to Moscow for education. This Uni was built at USSR times for foreign USSR friends. Now there are students of 450 nationalities. As I heard some of people who have graduated there, became Kings and Presidents.
    If there were much racists, certainly those two chaps wouldn't sit in the street for all the day. Who knows, may be in future those two chaps will rule at Africa and will be Kings.
    I suppose if London in your scale 1, then Moscow 2. But anyway depends of the district.
    Enjoy the Uni.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peoples...sity_of_Russia

ReputationRep:
    Moscow isn't really reflective of rural Russia. I mean it's a fairly large multicultural metropolis so you should be fine.

Over 9000.

ReputationRep:
    Dating a russian, from the sounds of it, Russians are pretty racist. She isn't.

ReputationRep:

I feel soo sorry for you....why is your family moving?
    There's a lot of racism in Russia and there is a strong youth Neo-Nazi movement over there. I hear lots of stories about racially motivated assualts and murders, especially on the subways and late at night.

On another note, it is cold. And the world cup in 2018 will suck.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, i've been and i'm brown. I went to Moscow, and I didn't experience any direct racism. I'm not going to lie, there was a lot of staring and pointing, but i'll put that down to the fact that there are practically no other races there other than white, so it's a novelty. We all travelled around with security as well...

I wouldn't like to live there though, but your parents are probably moving to a nice area so i'm sure it'll be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Quit dangerous in my opinion. Though many Russians wont give a damn at all to your skin colour, since the breakup of the USSR there has been a rise in Neo-nazi groups who have undertaken attacks on non slavic people in recent years. Videos of these attacks are popular on Russian file sharing sites.

It's true that there any many African nationals as Students at university in Moscow, but it is suggested that they never travel alone and after dark.The attacks generally peak around the anniversary of Hitler's birthday. An Indian student was killed in 2008 at the University in St.Petersburg and last year a student from Gabon was stabbed seven times in the back coming off the subway. There are many other stories like this.

There is an increased risk for those of non-white background to visit Russia, I would say. Levels of violent in crime are in general much higher in Russia anyway and as ethnic minority you will encounter more issues. Though if sensible measures are taken, there's no reason why you cant have a successful and enjoyable stay in Russia.

ReputationRep:
    I feel really sorry for you, why exactly does your family have to move to moscow. I have heard a few things and seen a few documentaries and tbh it seems pretty damn bad regarding race. Their is a quite strong neo nazi movement in moscow and a number of the more prominent groups actually train weekly using military techniques in order to be able fight and attack minorities. Its truely disgusting and i would advise you not to go their. Please even if you have to show your parents this just try not to go as it is rather dangerous, aspeccially at night and on the subway. Please dont go.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it's quite bad, but if you'll be in Moscow I imagine it won't be quite so bad as the run down cities further east. That said, I wouldn't be complacent about it. The impression I get is that even in the most modern parts of Russia racism is a significant problem.

Sorry to be so utterly depressing about the whole thing, but at the same time I imagine things will, and are getting better. Even Russia isn't immune from progression.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah unfortunately it is quite bad. The majority of people in russia aren't racist, but the few that are seem to be really extreme. Although in a big city like moscow it wont be so bad. Also I assume you'll be living in a fairly well off area if you are moving from the US so dont worry too much about it.

EDIT: I totally forgot, my bro went with the scotland under 16s rugbly league team to under 16s world cup in russia (my bro is mixed ethnicity). There were also another 2 mixed scottish boys with the team. They spent most of their time in moscow city centre and the olympic village. He said they never got any direct racism, but he did see quite a few nazi salutes (not directed towards him though).

On a plus side he said there is also a huge punk movement over there and all the punks were wearing union jack t shirts and inviting them to punk concerts or something. So on that note, become a punk :borat:

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to russia my self, but I know that my uncle and his wife aren't taking his stepson (her son) who's mixed race with them to russia later this year because they're worried about how he'll be treated. TBH though it's more for her because she gets really upset about that sort of thing more than her son does.

ReputationRep:

Your family is moving there? is that even possible?

A lot of policemen are corrupt, and it is best to avoid them. While traveling in Moscow, as in the rest of Russia, you must always have your passport with you. If you look non-white, your papers may get checked more often than usual.
    Usually, the police will demand to see your papers to check if you have been registered within three business days of your arrival into Moscow. Most policemen do not speak a word of English, but they will let you know if your papers are not in order and you must go with them to the police precinct. It may be possible to bribe the police with about 500 rubles to leave you alone. If you are reasonably sure your papers are in order, get out your mobile phone and call your embassy helpline. Most corrupt policemen will be frightened enough to let you go before you dial the number. Still, do not carry large sums of money as it may be taken by pickpockets or the police.
    Non-white people should be especially vigilant since the number of violent attacks by skinheads is rising rapidly, and most minorities are likely to be stopped for document checks by the police.
    Women should take caution walking alone late at night since they may receive unwanted attention from drunk men. Women should also stay clear of large companies of men in front of bars, restaurants, etc. It is best to walk with a friend if possible.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they moving? Show your family this thread, and the mobile footage hovering around on the web.

ReputationRep:
    Racism is pretty bad in Russia and it's worse the darker you are.
    In Moscow it's not as bad as some other places but you don't wanna be out on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Out of 1 - 10? I'd say 20.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.