Turn on thread page Beta

How racist is Russia?! watch

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely bad, in Moscow you probably won't get attacked but you'll need to be alert and only stay in safe, busy, well lit places during the day but outside of Moscow you're pretty much an outcast. Obviously the probability of being attacked is quite low but black people often have security guards or carry guns for protection. Chinese/Oriental people don't tend to suffer as bad but that's probably because Tatars and Russians in the East have an Oriental appearance.

ReputationRep:
    Out of all the places in the world, why Russia? :lolwut:
    I guess since it's the capital city you'll be reasonably safe, but it's common knowledge Russia
    has an active neo nazi movement.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but let's just say that it is unlikely that they have this reputation for nothing.

Though, of course, it could be outdated and out of proportion. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RTengo)
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

On a scale of 1-10, how racist is Russia? Please help, I am really scared!
    Honestly, there's probably a 10% chance that you'll end up dead in an alleyway somewhere before the end of your first year there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    There are a few douchebags like the guy Im quoting OP.
    Who coincidentally is Russian /:

ReputationRep:
    Naomi Campbell is dating a Russian (and lives in Moscow a lot of the time)

Do not go. Russians are evil.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of crap in this thread, racism in Moscow is minor, you're likely to get few looks but morelike out of interest rather then in racist way.

Media loves to exaggerate facts about Russia and un-educated morons like some who posted in this thread believes everything media is saying.

ReputationRep:
    Nevertheless just be careful.! Always better to play it safe. Try not to go out in general

ReputationRep:
    Well, when FC Zenit played Rangers a few years ago, the manager was asked why there were no black players on the team (I believe the club had turned down the opportunity to sign some up-and-coming kid from Africa).

He replied with words to the effect of: "Because the fans wouldn't like it".

ReputationRep:
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

I think most people have heard the stories, I'm just worried it's a bit of a steretype of Russian culture.
    All I know is that Russian football does have a massive problem with racism amongst fans.

ReputationRep:
    You'll likely get hassled at some point of the trip tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Moscow a few times, once with a black friend, also I'm mixed race although maybe not that noticeable, and have never encountered racism. Plus there is a lot of hyperbole in here, it's not nearly as bad as they make it out to be. Although at the same time it's something that is more acceptable/probable than in US/UK and it would be best to stay safe, don't walk alone at night etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think ross kemp went to russia once...

ReputationRep:
    I went to Moscow and went to watch Spartak and the fans were even racially abusing their own players. It was disgraceful! Now I know some football hooligans over here can be too but they took it disturbing extremes and the most shocking thing is that they have quite a lot of Brazilians playing in Russia. Apparently, Obafemi Martins left Russia due to threata and monkey chants. Also, I was in a bar in Moscow and noticed that the Russian behind the bar would serve all the white people before a black man who waiting. I had a lot of respect for the black man as he didn't say anything and just waited whereas I would have been fuming had I been in his position. I bought him a drink in the end because I couldn't tolerate the ignorance shown towards him and I sat down and spoke to him. Even Putin and his close friends, all of whom are corrupt and heavily involved with EU organised crime are said to be racist. Some Russians I spoke to were not racist but they seemed to have travelled and therefore were more understanding of the multi culturalism they had seen elsewhere in the world. I would only ever go back on business if a company I worked for needed me to and not through choice. The only other country that I've seen that comes anywhere near to the level of racism in Russia is Serbia. I've been all over Europe and no other countries I have been to display the level of racial ignorance I witnessed there.

ReputationRep:
    Naomi Campbell still lives, so it MUST be alright?

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to Russia man.

Everyone knows Russia is proper racist.

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 it is about a 9.

You only have to look at Russian football to see how racist Russians are.

One team, Zenit St Petersburg, have never signed a black player in their history because they know the fans wouldn't like it.

Seriously if you're gonna move to Europe, don't move to Eastern Europe as that is the most racist part.

Move to England, much more multi-cultural and accepting

ReputationRep:

Moscow is very multicultural, just like London. However there are plenty of arrogant douches. And the most important, don't trust people in black leather jackets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    Moscow is very multicultural, just like London. However there are plenty of arrogant douches. And the most important, don't trust people in black leather jackets
    It's like 95% white.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies I'm moving to Moscow because my dad got a job there. I checked with my parents last night, and they said that there's a 95% chance that we're moving there for sure. :gasp: I'm DEFINITELY showing them this; maybe it will change something. :sad:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.