Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stay at home, you will just get battered.

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly are they moving??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RTengo)
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

On a scale of 1-10, how racist is Russia? Please help, I am really scared!
    Oh don't be silly.
    Moscow's fine.
    I mean, obviously avoid estates and dodgy areas
    same as any other city
    And try not to piss off bald guys in fred perry shirts

nah but seriously, it's a cosmopolitan, capitalist city... you won't be the only african american and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    hahha! I watched a documentary and this girl said she loved Hitler or something. And I was like "he invaded your country"

I wonder what History lessons in Russia are like.
    A documentary is a way depicting a bias as fact.

History lessons in russia aren't focused on miseducating the country's youth. There is actually a very strong emphasis on teaching and understanding WW2 and thus respecting/honouring the many, many lives lost. And that's not just lessons, it's in the culture.

ReputationRep:
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

Violent racism about a 2/10 joking racism probably a 8/10. Many russian people will call you negr, but with no intention of being racist, its just we call black people, but im sure they'll stop if you ask though, you don't need to be scared

ReputationRep:
    I went on a school trip to Moscow.

They pointed and took photos of the black girl I was with, on the Moscow Metro.. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Yeah unfortunately it is quite bad. The majority of people in russia aren't racist, but the few that are seem to be really extreme. Although in a big city like moscow it wont be so bad. Also I assume you'll be living in a fairly well off area if you are moving from the US so dont worry too much about it.

EDIT: I totally forgot, my bro went with the scotland under 16s rugbly league team to under 16s world cup in russia (my bro is mixed ethnicity). There were also another 2 mixed scottish boys with the team. They spent most of their time in moscow city centre and the olympic village. He said they never got any direct racism, but he did see quite a few nazi salutes (not directed towards him though).

On a plus side he said there is also a huge punk movement over there and all the punks were wearing union jack t shirts and inviting them to punk concerts or something. So on that note, become a punk :borat:
    Very true. I'm good friends with one of the ringleaders of it, they're really pro-active, some very educated and interesting people. squatted with them for a while a few years back. I say get involved.

Gigs are sick too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not quite sure why Russia was chosen to hold the football world cup..racism in football is out of control in Russa at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many of you in this thread have actually travelled to Russia. OP, people will point and stare, and it will be really annoying, but in the vast majority of cases they won't mean anything by it. I know a Black English girl who lived in St. Petersburg, probably the most racist big city in Russia, for a year and nothing happened to her whatsoever. You'll be fine, don't worry, and have a good time!

ReputationRep:

Hmmm... Well, I haven't actually been to Russia yet so I can't comment on that. However, I am African American... One of my closest friends is a Russian guy and my boss is Russian as well. On top of that a lot of my classmates have been Russian and they all seem like nice and interesting folk. Racism is everywhere so I'd say watch your back anyway. Don't lose heart though... Not everyone is a stereotype and there's always someone somewhere who will like you for who you are and not just see you as a skin tone.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I registered specifically for this thread to answer this question. I am Russian, and let me just tell you that a lot of the answers you got here are from people with absolutely no knowledge on the subject. I will give you info in details.

Yes, racism in Russia is widespread. There used to be lots of murders and assaults the recent years but it has since decreased. But make no mistake, these people are not gone. They are moving into the political arena and they are moving fast. Very fast. Its frightening. They have the backing of nearly the entire youth generation of Russia due to 80 years of failed multiculturalism. Russia used to be very tolerant, just like the UK is.

To the people that say Moscow is safe and multicultural:
    Moscow may be multicultural but it certainly isn't safe. The ethnic tensions in Moscow are so high that you can feel it in your body. The city alone has more than 10,000 skinheads. Thats more than all of America has. Moscow have recently(11th december) been the place of massive race riots where people of darker complexions were brutally assaulted throughout the streets.

To the people that say Hitler hated slavs. This is very loose thinking and is something only familiar in western textbooks. Actually, many many slavic groups from Croatia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Serbia, Slovakia, and yes especially Russia had Nazi fractions. Thank God they were defeated, but now my fear is that they will rise again. I think maybe Russia can become the new Germany? The movement is growing so strong that its scary.

To the person that said Moscow is 95% white is wrong. Officialy its like 80% but in real life maybe 60-70%. Most migrants are from former soviet republics.

To the person that said there are lots of Africans doing fine in Moscow. There are many Africans, but they are not doing fine at all. Monkey-chants and racial abuse has become everyday life for many of them.

Its bad but Russia is going one way, that is down

My advice for you would be to tell your parents to not move and plz show them my post. For your own good

Alina

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRussian)
    x
    In the UK non-white generally means black or Asian (Indian and Chinese). In Moscow, 30-40% of the non-Russian population isn't black or Asian it's slightly tanned right? By that I mean people from Central Asia and Eastern Europe. I know an Indian medical student got stabbed in a racist attack but that was outside of Moscow. What percentage of Moscow would be black or Asian (Indian/Chinese) nowadays?

ReputationRep:
    In soviet Russia, rascism makes you rascist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    In the UK non-white generally means black or Asian (Indian and Chinese). In Moscow, 30-40% of the non-Russian population isn't black or Asian it's slightly tanned right? By that I mean people from Central Asia and Eastern Europe. I know an Indian medical student got stabbed in a racist attack but that was outside of Moscow. What percentage of Moscow would be black or Asian (Indian/Chinese) nowadays?
    The non-Russian population of Moscow is mostly Central Asian and from the Caucasus. The people of the Caucasus are about as light as Turks. Central Asians are people of Asian looks along with some countries that are of similar ethnic origin as the Balochs of Pakistan.

Blacks are probably around 70,000-80,000. Indians, Chinese and Vietnamese exist in significant numbers too. But they experience a lot of racial abuse.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go to Russia if I were you. There's recently been a wave of race hate, especially against black people. If you must go there, stick with Moscow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Really?? Since when was Russia ever tolerant? It's always been a pretty brutal dictatorship run by ignorant intolerant morons, no?
    It's only since the collapse of communism that this skinhead movement and racist/nationalist ideology started to become popular. Though I never knew it was AS bad as the west made it out to be. But, if a Russian says it is then it probably is. I have been to Moscow and not experienced racism, but then again it was only for short periods of time and these attacks are usually against people who they perceive as damaging their country, the actual people who live there, particularly lower class immigrants and tourists might not really be effected.

ReputationRep:
    Really?? Since when was Russia ever tolerant? It's always been a pretty brutal dictatorship run by ignorant intolerant morons, no?
    When it was the USSR a lot of effort was made to reach out to other races particularly in Africa and Africans used to go to university there and study. Since the fall of communism there has been a growing neo-Nazi movement there which is ironic since the USSR played the most important role in WW2 in defeating Nazism.

ReputationRep:

Im russian and i have to say its very racist, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    In Soviet Russia, you're not racist - racism is you!!

ReputationRep:
    Right now we were talking about race relations, not about former regimes. While the Soviet regime was brutal, it was mostly ethnic Russians that were treated the worst so its stupid to say that it was an intolerant regime. In case you never knew, around half of the soviet nations were not white.

In the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and early 70's, expressing racism could easily get you knocked out in Russia but ethnic russians.

Womens rights and race relations in the West today uses a lot of soviet-developed ways. The soviet union did revolutionize race relations and womens rights. but overall it was a bad regime. at least the people lived in peace, and didnt attack non-whites in the street.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.