Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJay91)
    I wouldn't go to Russia if I were you. There's recently been a wave of race hate, especially against black people. If you must go there, stick with Moscow.
    Not true. the favorite victims of russian racists are central asians from Uzbekistan and Tajikistan. blacks get it too, but you are lying when you say that blacks get it more than others.

ReputationRep:
    Jackthevillain is probably the biggest facist we have on this site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dosvidaniya)
    the actual people who live there, particularly lower class immigrants and tourists might not really be effected.
    Again, not true. Lower-class immigrants especially get brutally assaulted. And if you are a white british, then of course you wont experience racism. Its against non-Europeans. But maybe you are not white.. Then consider yourself quite lucky to not have experienced racism in Moscow. The richer ones are usually untouchable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRussian)
    Again, not true. Lower-class immigrants especially get brutally assaulted. And if you are a white british, then of course you wont experience racism. Its against non-Europeans. But maybe you are not white.. Then consider yourself quite lucky to not have experienced racism in Moscow. The richer ones are usually untouchable.
    I mistyped, I meant to say that the non-white people that live there, especially lower class immigrants, are the ones most likely to get attacked. But non-white tourists might less likely be attacked.

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE]

well thats one place crossed of my visit before I'm 20 list

i don't rally fancy going there now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    A lot less racist than South Africa is towards whites. Im not really sure why people keep on going about Russia having neo nazis yer they do but whats wrong with a being a neo nazi?
    This is just plain wrong. I've lived in South Africa for 3 years and have never been subject to any kind of racial abuse. Affirmative action and Black Economic Empowerment can hardly be classed as Racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversityLAD)
    This is just plain wrong. I've lived in South Africa for 3 years and have never been subject to any kind of racial abuse. Affirmative action and Black Economic Empowerment can hardly be classed as Racism.
    Why not they are putting one race above another that happened in America until civil rights and now its other way round but no black people will protest in America because they are put first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Why not they are putting one race above another that happened in America until civil rights and now its other way round but no black people will protest in America because they are put first.
    Because White South Africans are generally better educated than Black South Africans, that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniversityLAD)
    Because White South Africans are generally better educated than Black South Africans, that's why.
    So your saying because someone has made sure they are well educated they should be treated worse because of their race seriously Wtf so racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
    Im russian and i have to say its very racist, unfortunately.
    My GF is russian, I am of pakistani decent, things are getting pretty serious between us.

If racism is that bad is it pointless settling down with a russian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    My GF is russian, I am of pakistani decent, things are getting pretty serious between us.

Most racists tend to be men and Russians who go abroad are not likely to be representative of the average Russian. I would have second thoughts if you're planning on moving to Russia but otherwise there shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as her family is accepting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Most racists tend to be men and Russians who go abroad are not likely to be representative of the average Russian. I would have second thoughts if you're planning on moving to Russia but otherwise there shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as her family is accepting.
    lol no way am I moving to russia. I love London too much.

With that said, I think with the football worldcup coming up in russia, racism should be significantly tackled by the authorities.

ReputationRep:
    lol no way am I moving to russia. I love London too much.

With that said, I think with the football worldcup coming up in russia, racism should be significantly tackled by the authorities.
    It won't be tackled, it'll be suspended. Afterwards things will stay the same unless foreign workers stick around. Racism is usually to do with poverty anyway, the problem should very slowly disappear as Russia becomes wealthier but in the meantime it won't.

ReputationRep:
    My Uncle (married into the family) who is chinese, visited Moscow and said they were quite unfriendly with him, more so than other people. Not exactly overtly racist, but enough so that he could tell they were discriminating.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it also depends on which arae you go to. Just like most big cities, they all have good and bad areas

ReputationRep:

No not at all, it MAY be hard to live in Russia for some time but russia is odd, more racist to some races than others - e.g. they like chinese people because of the whole communist friend thing. There is a scale, but you guys should be fine, just dont go into deep russia haha

Also the people themselves are not that racist and russians living outside russia are completely different to those living in russia (very often liberal and tolerant) but in places like moscow, you (as in someone not russian) may be uncomfortable.

Hey i have lived in england basically all my life but i am completely russian, but its reached the point that when i go back people are different and weird to me. meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    By multicultural I meant that there are a lot of residents from Azerbaijan, Georgia etc.. 5% is around 600,000 people, Moscow is huge.
    I lived in Moscow. There are more about 30-40% of Caucasians live in Moscow. Russians are not racist towards Caucasians as it is the same race, the same color. The Caucasians considered as white. Among them a lot of blonds. Azeries or Georgians who come from mountain parts are mostly blonds (North-West). Maybe you have mixed them with people from Central Asia or Armenia. They are darker. Armenians look like persians or Middle Easterns and Central Asians are Mongoloid.
    However, I would not say that they all discriminated. It depends on person.

ReputationRep:
    Yah, they are racist. Keep away from the gangs of skinheads when it gets dark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RTengo)
    My family is probably going to move to Moscow soon, and I'm really scared because I've heard horror stories about racism in Russia. I'm 16 years old, a girl and African American.

On a scale of 1-10, how racist is Russia? Please help, I am really scared!
    Mmm. I hesitate to say this because I don't like it but I would say Moscow in general is more racist than say London.

But Moscow will be less racist than other rural areas as others have pointed out.

Tbh I know this is off topic, but it really really pisses me off why in the 21st century it still ****ing exists....it's so bloody ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    Mmm. I hesitate to say this because I don't like it but I would say Moscow in general is more racist than say London.

But Moscow will be less racist than other rural areas as others have pointed out.

Tbh I know this is off topic, but it really really pisses me off why in the 21st century it still ****ing exists....it's so bloody ridiculous.
    I can't believe neo-nazis in Russia admire Hitler when Hitler hated Russians.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.