Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spanish Crown Prince stirs things up with Big Ears over the Rock Watch

ReputationRep:
    I should point out I was playing devils advocate in the OP. I think the Spanish really don't have a leg to stand on, its ours and the people want to keep the status quo.

Why is the Crown Prince bringing this up in the first place? Surely its a matter for the government and not the Royal Family, unless the political neutrality rules we have don't apply so much over there.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see why the Spanish continue to assume that there's any chance of a change in Gibraltar's constitutional status. There isn't. The Gibraltarians won't stand for it, and the British government won't act without their approval.

(Original post by fire2burn)
    It is up to the citizens to decide, and they have overwhelmingly rejected the idea of Spain ruling there. So the Spanish should be told to do one.
    For that to be seen as legitimate, the territory must be seen as legitimate. Spain do not see it in that way, so it's 'democratic majority' is wholly irrelevant to them: as far as they're concerned, these people are a tiny minority within the rightful borders of Spain.

Equally though, it's unthinkable in the modern age to hand Gibraltar over to Spain without the support of the Gibraltarian people or government.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Gibraltar was ceded in perpetuity by the Spanish crown in 1713, unconditionally, as part of the Treaty of Utrecht. It is ours and there's sweet **** all Spain can do about it.
    The treaty is, at best, unclear and, at worse, falls on Spain's side. The treaty seems to suggest that Britain would own the city, but not have jurisdiction over it. Moreover, Britain has subsequently wandered into other territory - the disputed isthmus area - since this time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm gibraltarian or llanito as we are mainly known as hahaha i do not understand what Spain's problem is. e are happy to be British and we do not want to enter the crisis Spain is in at the moment anyway. We more than enough money for ourselves e.g ( government gives us university grants which we do not need to pay back) and are only dependent on Britain for defence. As long as the apes are still on the Rock Gibraltar will always remain British

(Original post by creak)
    Absolutely. By the same token I think we should invade, say, Saudi Arabia- depose the monarchy, install our own government and encourage thousands of British people to move to the country. We'll carry over all British citizenship rights, institutions, systems of governance, customs, values and traditions. We'll defend it by force if needs be and then in a hundred, two hundred years, we'll belatedly scream 'self-determination!' and call a referendum asking all the British people in our conquered territory if they're British. When they vote yes it legitimises our hold on the territory, so all's tied up neat and tidy and we gain a profitable little extension to UK plc. What a cunning plan!
    And how many times have we seen that happen in Britain's history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    Absolutely. By the same token I think we should invade, say, Saudi Arabia- depose the monarchy, install our own government and encourage thousands of British people to move to the country. We'll carry over all British citizenship rights, institutions, systems of governance, customs, values and traditions. We'll defend it by force if needs be and then in a hundred, two hundred years, we'll belatedly scream 'self-determination!' and call a referendum asking all the British people in our conquered territory if they're British. When they vote yes it legitimises our hold on the territory, so all's tied up neat and tidy and we gain a profitable little extension to UK plc. What a cunning plan!
    I suppose by that logic we shoudl probably give up England to the Normans? WHo in turn should give it up to the Italians.

In fact we ought to re-establish the Roman Empire if we listen to your advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d-mac20)
    Hi i'm gibraltarian or llanito as we are mainly known as hahaha i do not understand what Spain's problem is. e are happy to be British and we do not want to enter the crisis Spain is in at the moment anyway. We more than enough money for ourselves e.g ( government gives us university grants which we do not need to pay back) and are only dependent on Britain for defence. As long as the apes are still on the Rock Gibraltar will always remain British
    Hear Hear. The Spaniards can do nothing, they cant even invade these days let alone get a democratic mandate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that Gibraltar has been under British rule for longer than it was ever under Spanish rule anyway...
    And yes, it was part of the deal that ended the War of the Spanish Succession, and they really did get off pretty lightly in the end thanks to the Tories' obsession with pulling out of the war and abandoning our allies as quickly as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renner)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-of-Wales.html

What do you guys think? Is it a imperial leftover that should be returned to the Spanish, or do we respect with wishes the the Gibraltans and keep the island.
    Will the Spanish ever give it a rest? I think the Gibraltar issue is a good distraction for them from there fooked economy
    Gibraltar wants to stay British. WTH you shouldn't even think about giving these idiots Gibraltar back. The only thing we depend on Britain for are defences. The UK doesn't fund us with any money so we are not a problem for them. In addition, we are the location where they can park their nuclear submarines. Plus do you know how many British people died fighting for Gibraltar. It would be injust to give Gibraltar back to Spain. I myself am Gibraltarian and I am against sovereignty with Spain. I am a proud Gibraltarian/LLanito and proud to be British

ReputationRep:
    I love the fact that Britain hangs onto the most random bits of the world (don't mean this in a bad way, it makes me grin). Anyway the people said no, what more do you want?

Then again lets give them a chance. Let the two royal families have a paintball fight or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    Gibraltar is British, and has expressed its desire to remain so a repeated number of occasions in referendums. Spain can go swivel.
    This.

There have been a load of referendums on the issue and the people don't want to become Spanish. Its the same with Norn Iron, the Falklands etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    I love the fact that Britain hangs onto the most random bits of the world (don't mean this in a bad way, it makes me grin). Anyway the people said no, what more do you want?

Then again lets give them a chance. Let the two royal families have a paintball fight or something.
    Gilbrator isn't exactly random though - it's a hugely important strategic location

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Gilbrator isn't exactly random though - it's a hugely important strategic location
    Now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Now?
    A Naval base effectively controlling the Mediterranean?

Admittedly it isn't as important as during the 19th century, but it still holds strategic value for the Royal Navy.

ReputationRep:
    Although currently as far as I'm aware, the Mediterranean Fleet no longer exists and the Gibraltar squadron consists of a pair of patrol boats (but the point is its potential - it would be a very useful base if the RN did need to conduct serious operations in the Med)..

ReputationRep:
    U mad Spain?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.