Turn on thread page Beta

Well I feel so daft being so shy about this at the age of 19, but here goes....I've made an appt with the nurse practitioner on Monday to ask about going on the pill, but I wonder what kind of questions they are going to ask me?

ReputationRep:
    They don't really ask you much tbh. They take your blood pressure, weigh you and ask your height but tbh my doctor didn't really ask anything.

ReputationRep:
    They ask you medical history too.

Ok so nothing about like sexual history? Otherwise I'm gonna be seen as a slaaaag.

ReputationRep:
    They ask if you're in a relationship in the moment, how long you've been in it, and when the last time you had sex was.
    You don't really have to tell the truth on this bit, by the way - the sexual health clinic I go to for the pill has on their records that I've been with a boy called Tom for the last 3 years, which is a biiiiig fat lie!
    Even if you do tell the truth, they won't judge you. They'll have seen much worse, and tbh they'll probably think you're being sensible by going on the pill.

You'll also be asked for medical history (migraines, problems with your period, heart problems, breast cancer or strokes in your family, etc), and whether you smoke/drink. You need to answer these as accurately as you can, because they can affect the type of pill that they prescribe you. (e.g. I get migraines, and so can't have any contraception with oestrogen in it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    They ask if you're in a relationship in the moment, how long you've been in it, and when the last time you had sex was.
    You don't really have to tell the truth on this bit, by the way - the sexual health clinic I go to for the pill has on their records that I've been with a boy called Tom for the last 3 years, which is a biiiiig fat lie!
    Even if you do tell the truth, they won't judge you. They'll have seen much worse, and tbh they'll probably think you're being sensible by going on the pill.

You'll also be asked for medical history (migraines, problems with your period, heart problems, breast cancer or strokes in your family, etc), and whether you smoke/drink. You need to answer these as accurately as you can, because they can affect the type of pill that they prescribe you. (e.g. I get migraines, and so can't have any contraception with oestrogen in it)
    I got asked all this the other day when I wanted a repeat prescription and had to lie. The only thing I thought was that they'll probably want to do tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    I got asked all this the other day when I wanted a repeat prescription and had to lie. The only thing I thought was that they'll probably want to do tests.
    The medical history bit, or the relationship questions?

ReputationRep:
    The medical history bit, or the relationship questions?
    The relationship history q's.

ReputationRep:
    The relationship history q's.
    Don't think so.

It's so much easier to just lie anyway.

ReputationRep:
    They don't ask anything in Australia. I told the doctor I wanted to go on it and she wrote me a prescription and explained how to take it.

Here, you also have to go back every four months for a new prescription which is a waste of time. The doctors never give me a check up, ask how I am going etc. They just write out a new prescription and take my $20!

ReputationRep:
    Don't think so.

It's so much easier to just lie anyway.
    It is but after I did it I got told I'd probably be asked to come in for STI tests etc even though I don't need to. I might also be asked to go on the implant which I don't want either.

ReputationRep:
    It is but after I did it I got told I'd probably be asked to come in for STI tests etc even though I don't need to. I might also be asked to go on the implant which I don't want either.
    ....Your clinic sounds odd :confused: Mine have always just asked if I want to do any STI tests, I've said no except for the chlamydia one most of the time.

I've heard awful stories about the implant. It was suggested to me the last time I went, but thankfully I'd been having aural migraines for a couple of months and as the implant contains oestrogen, they thought better of it and stuck me on the POP instead.

ReputationRep:
    ....Your clinic sounds odd :confused: Mine have always just asked if I want to do any STI tests, I've said no except for the chlamydia one most of the time.

I've heard awful stories about the implant. It was suggested to me the last time I went, but thankfully I'd been having aural migraines for a couple of months and as the implant contains oestrogen, they thought better of it and stuck me on the POP instead.
    They are odd! They told me after the migraine question that I'm now at risk of a heart attack cos I've been on Mercillon for 5 years with the odd migraine.

I got given the POP the other day but I've just decided to go off the pill altogether.

ReputationRep:
    They might want to do a blood test (depending on how regular your periods are), they will take your blood pressure, and they will ask you if you get migraines; they will then tell you how to use it if you're using it as contraception.

Will they want to do a blood test if my periods are really irregular?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.