Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi all,

I have received offers from both Lancaster and Sussex university and just cannot decide which to choose. I would appreciate any knowledge about them or experiences students are having. Is Lancaster as dull as i've heard? Would I be right in thinking that an employer would see Lancaster as having more credibility?

Thankyou for any help given

I was actually having the same problem, but then I picked Lancaster two days ago

my reasons being (and you don't have to take any of these as fact because it is simply my opinion)...

First of all, Lancatser does look better to employers. It's a very well rated university, but it's grades are achievable. The staff at Lancaster are all really enthusiastic, and the environment is great. At sussex, what firstly drew me to it was the location. Brighton is amazing, with great night life, but at Sussex the SU doesn't have much input. It's not got as much as a campus feel to it as what Lancaster had, and a lot of people go home at weekends because quite a few of its students are from London. As well as this, Sussex is damned expensive. If you were at Lancaster, you wouldn't be permanently poor that's for sure. Another thing that put me off Sussex is it's real hard to get accommodation, especially if you're not firming but even if you are. Quite a few people have said that they feel they've had to work a lot harder to have a social life because most people just go into Brighton and don't stay on campus a lot.

I think the thing about Lancaster being a bit dull is myth really. There are LOADS of campus parties, and it has like 9 bars on campus. Ok, the town isn't exactly somewhere like Leeds or Newcastle in the sense it doesn't have loads of clubs, but it still has a decent number. And with the sheer amount of students who actually reside in the area (and think about just how big Lancaster uni is), it's certainly not a student free zone. A lot of people also go to Manchester and Blackpool for big weekends out.

It's really a choice you need to make on based where you think you will be happiest, and what university feels right for you. I hope some of that information helped
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.