Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is mainstream so bad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hear alot of people lately who want to be different and cool say they are not into things because they are too mainstream. What is wrong with popular music/clothes/comedians/venues.

People even change their attitude towards something they like as soon as more people begin to like it. Eventually wont being anti mainstream be mainstream?

(Sorry about the disgusting amount of times i have used the word mainstream)

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with mainstream comedians, they're funny ie jack dee, macintyre etc. im not really a stylish person so couldnt say about clothes. the one thing that does bug me is todays mainstream music, im more of a fan of diffrent types of rock from the '60s '70s and '80s. hate most moderen music though occasionally somthing modern and mainstream mightslip through.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever thinks their different or unique is kidding themselves, whatever it is you do millions have done it before you! I always hear poeple going on about consumerism, er arnt we all consumers? Its a joke! Poeple who dont do thinsk just because they think its too mainstream are pretensious dicks.

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with mainstream music. Its frickin music ffs...

ReputationRep:
    There is everything wrong with mainstream music. Its fricken turdtastic anti-music ffs.....

ReputationRep:
    Ugh it annoys me when people say 'I liked X until everybody started wearing/ listening to them'. Well MAYBE the reason it has become popular is because it's a good thing??

e.g. You 'like' a band, then everybody else realises that it's a great band, then you start disliking it so you don't appear mainstream? wtf. Their music won't have changed... I know people who do this as well :facepalm:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fe1ELHn4c < This thread reminded me of this video :3 (contains swearing jsyk - don't want to offend)

I genuinely don't happen to like lots of mainstream music/movies etc, but if I do like something "mainstream" I don't really care that other people like it.
    People that dislike stuff just cos other people like it are ridiculous. Probably due to insecurities that the person wants to appear "special" and "individual".

Being "anti-mainstream" already is mainstream: "hipsters" and "indie" etc

and lololol at the meme picture above ^ ^

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fe1ELHn4c < This thread reminded me of this video :3 (contains swearing jsyk - don't want to offend)

I genuinely don't happen to like lots of mainstream music/movies etc, but if I do like something "mainstream" I don't really care that other people like it.
    People that dislike stuff just cos other people like it are ridiculous. Probably due to insecurities that the person wants to appear "special" and "individual".

Being "anti-mainstream" already is mainstream: "hipsters" and "indie" etc

and lololol at the meme picture above ^ ^

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought a ticket to go to v festival with a few of my mates but apprently this festival will be crap because its so mainstream!

ReputationRep:
    Disliking stuff because its mainstream is obviously retarded. Disliking stuff despite the fact that its mainstream is absolutely fine.

It just so happens that a large proportion of mainstream entertainment is ****ing terrible, and so the word mainstream almost accidentally because shorthand for "low quality".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Disliking stuff because its mainstream is obviously retarded. Disliking stuff despite the fact that its mainstream is absolutely fine.

It just so happens that a large proportion of mainstream entertainment is ****ing terrible, and so the word mainstream almost accidentally because shorthand for "low quality".
    This.
    I don't stop liking stuff just because it is mainstream.
    But if a band or whatever changes its music so they become mainstream, and I don't like their new stuff, then I am allowed to not like it.

ReputationRep:
    Bad is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Ugh it annoys me when people say 'I liked X until everybody started wearing/ listening to them'. Well MAYBE the reason it has become popular is because it's a good thing??

e.g. You 'like' a band, then everybody else realises that it's a great band, then you start disliking it so you don't appear mainstream? wtf. Their music won't have changed... I know people who do this as well :facepalm:
    Maybe its because it just gets worn out. When things become "mainstream" or whatever they start appearing on TV adverts and programs and you end up hearing it on the radio every day etc etc - I guess you would just get bored of it.

Plus people just like to be different, If you wear something to stand out from the crowd a little and then everyone else starts wearing it you would have to move on to something else. I'm not at all fashionable or anything but I can see why people want to look different.

ReputationRep:
    There are two main reasons why mainstream is perceived as 'bad' - and rightly so.

(1) People don't like uniformity. If everyone likes/wears/listens to/laughs about the same kinds of things, it gets boring, no one gets to stand out, diversity is lost, and individuality dies.

(2) People who follow the mainstream demonstrate that they have not put thought or effort into their choice of clothes/music/whatever. It is easy to listen to the radio and then go to the record store or online to get that song. It takes more effort to do further research on the genre you like, find more artists, and generally 'dig deeper'. Therefore, mainstream people might be called superficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    There are two main reasons why mainstream is perceived as 'bad' - and rightly so.

(1) People don't like uniformity. If everyone likes/wears/listens to/laughs about the same kinds of things, it gets boring, no one gets to stand out, diversity is lost, and individuality dies.

(2) People who follow the mainstream demonstrate that they have not put thought or effort into their choice of clothes/music/whatever. It is easy to listen to the radio and then go to the record store or online to get that song. It takes more effort to do further research on the genre you like, find more artists, and generally 'dig deeper'. Therefore, mainstream people might be called superficial.
    A lot of people actually pretend to like music that not a lot of people do just to stand out, at the end of the day with all the record labels out there all the best bands/artist get signed.
    I dont like many bands eg Boyzone- however i dont dislike them just for the sole reason a lot of other people do..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Manc990)
    I hear alot of people lately who want to be different and cool say they are not into things because they are too mainstream. What is wrong with popular music/clothes/comedians/venues.

People even change their attitude towards something they like as soon as more people begin to like it. Eventually wont being anti mainstream be mainstream?

(Sorry about the disgusting amount of times i have used the word mainstream)
    Suppose some bands change completely when they get big. Kings of Leon for example.

(Original post by py0alb)

This exactly. It's the usual (imo wrong) equation between average/normal/mainstream and mundane/mediocre.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike a lot of mainstream things, but typically popular things are just stuff I don't identify with.

There is of course the occasional popular thing that doesn't make me cringe, but for the most part when it comes to music I look as far from the charts as I can. As for clothes, I stick to brands I like and don't really care who else likes them.

Venues/Comedians who cares? A good venue is a good venue if it suits your personal taste/needs, and a comedian is only funny if you find them funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unicornsoncrack)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.