Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is mainstream so bad? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manc990)
    Hmm ye thanks for your replies, thats what i thought
    You say this after 8 min?

What makes your question so much more important than others? Get a ****ing grip of yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    You say this after 8 min?

What makes your question so much more important than others? Get a ****ing grip of yourself!
    Chill out you geek

ReputationRep:
    with clothes and comedians i am extremely "mainstream", but music....., as above i get bored of hearing the exact same playlist in every club or bar, its as if the dj's there are too lazy to mix things up a little, either that, or they are too afraid of public disapproval that they wont put out stuff thats "unknown", it gives out the impression that they have zero confidence or talent for that matter

then again its just "mainstream" pop, hip hop, r&b (whatever them kids are listening to nowadays) that i cant stand
    the other genres that i listen to: rock, dubstep, electronica, classical, jazz, lounge, house, opera, pretty much all "mainstream"

ReputationRep:
    Chill out you geek
    geek?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    geek?
    Your picture is of the cern which implies that you are a pretencious geek who is trying to show off? Far wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Your picture is of the cern which implies that you are a pretencious geek who is trying to show off? Far wrong?
    Well i'm into physics and engineering so if that makes me a geek then yes.

An original question like yours and the "why has no one answered my question" post and you think I'm pretencious?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones mate!

ReputationRep:
    emotion*

ReputationRep:
    nothing, i just find it annoying when people go 'i dont like so and so since they became popular and everyone i listening to them'

:lolwut: surely that's a good thing, it's pretty lame having no one else to talk about the same music as you

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with mainstream. If people want to buy mainstream products they have every right to do so. The same applies to people who prefer to be more niche. We all like different things so I don't get the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'm not a fan of mainstream music / bands etc because it's just not my taste...I prefer more raw music and try to support up and coming unsigned bands. It annoys me how people like Rihanna for instance (and I'm not saying she can't sing, etc - I like some of her songs) get spoonfed into the population when there's lots of talent out there that just doesn't get known about through no fault of the artist. For instance - S&M - wtf? No offence to Rihanna, but there's plenty of virtually unknown songs that are musically (and otherwise) better than that, yet it still ends up in the top 10 the week it's released or something. I'm a big fan of a couple of bands which are just starting to be shown on music tv, in magazines, etc, and I'm aware that my support of them is helping them to get where they want to be (obviously if only in a small way) so I won't go off them if/when they become "mainstream". The problem is that many artists start to conform once they become more widely known about e.g. Ellie Goulding with Wonderman and You Me At Six with Rescue Me in two instances. Doesn't mean I like them less, but they have changed their style slightly to fit the mainstream image for these songs (not saying they will forever), nothing against them for that. It's just what happens.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.