Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Warning! Sexually Transmitted Infections. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Did not know where to put this but I think it is important.

Some years ago I contracted an STI from a one night stand. Admittedly, I don't think that my sexual conquest knew they already had an STI. I suspect they showed no symptoms.

With me, however, some days later, I was showing all the signs. So I went to get myself checked out. I got it cured but it left scarring on my urethra. They tried to dilate me using a Cathatar - a long tube inserted into the penis. But they couldn't get in. This was traumatic for me because this attempt lasted nearly two hours before they gave up.

So they decided surgery would do it. I was due to go in for surgery to open up the stricture in my urethra via key-hole surgery. My fault was that I didn't go in for it and just left it for about 2 years. It turns out that the stricture was quite long.

Eventually, the stricture worsened, and although my urine flow was weak I still could urinate. Then one day I could no longer urinate. I panicked and had to go into hospital pronto. They had to cut my pubic area and insert a cathatar under local anaesthetic. The pain was unbearable once they plunged in the cathatar through the pubic wall. But the real pain was having to wait 2 hours for an ambulance to take me to hospital and then wait for an hour for the urologist to arrive.

Imagine having a full bladder, and wanting to go to the toilet but not able to go?

For 2 months I've had this supra pubic cathatar in. It has stopped me doing many things and has made me depressed.

Yesterday I went in to surgery to remove the stricture via urethrotomy. No pain. Just general aneasthetic. It turned out that they could not operate on me.

I will have to now wear the cathatar for another month until I go for urethroplasty. This is where they do open surgery to reconstruct the urethra. I will be hospitalised for four days or longer. I will be in great pain. After the OP I will have to wear a Foley cathatar (through the penis) for a further two weeks. I feel depressed and disappointed with all this.

All this for the sake of a one night stand. I wish I had never met this person.

It could happen to you! So get yourself checked out after every sexual encounter. Although I recognise that people have had much worse after contracting an STI, the message is still the same. If you get an STI you can run the risk of going through all this. The damage that these viruses can do is just not worth it. You men, if you contract something like this you may well do damage to your urethra and you may will suffer further problems such as a lifetime of self-cathatarisation.

One night of passion could really put your life on-hold for months and can cause trauma, not to mention the rest of the years of your life going into surgery every six months.

Is it really worth it? In my experience it is not. I will never just randomly pursue a sexual encounter with anyone now until I know for sure that they are clean. I know that sounds difficult because not everyone is honest, and not everyone will be aware that they have an infection, if they do have one, which the symptoms have not shown.

My advice is to either practice ultra-safe sex (I'm sure you know what that means), get yourself checked out after every sexual encounter, or know that your partner is free of any viruses (this one is hard to do).

ReputationRep:
    Clearly a large part in that though is you being moronic enough not to go back for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tits&Acid)
    Clearly a large part in that though is you being moronic enough not to go back for 2 years.
    Thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes:

The message is important though: getting an STI for the sake of a night of passion is just not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    More your fault for being a **** and leaving it. ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tonberry)
    More your fault for being a **** and leaving it. ****.
    You obviously have no idea what an STI can do, do you?

Not everone shows symptoms. In other words, you potentially could contract a virus which will not show symptoms. Meanwhile, unbeknowst to you the virus is doing damage. By the time the symptoms have shown or you can no longer pee properly, the damage is already done. I don't know for how long I had this virus. I could have had it for some time without realising the damage.

So keep your mouth shut and listen for once in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Did you died?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What STD was it? And jeez people are the harsh comments really necessary? Would't wish an experience like that on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    You obviously have no idea what an STI can do, do you?

Not everone shows symptoms. In other words, you potentially could contract a virus which will not show symptoms. Meanwhile, unbeknowst to you the virus is doing damage. By the time the symptoms have shown or you can no longer pee properly, the damage is already done. I don't know for how long I had this virus. I could have had it for some time without realising the damage.

So keep your mouth shut and listen for once in your life.
    Who cares? You were due for surgery so I assume it was recommended? You're a muppet for not going. You got an STI accidentally, fine, but you hardly effectively mitigated the damage by waiting 2 years.

The 'advice' you've given is more like common sense, which obv you did not have when you got the STI by having an unprotected ONS. The better advice would be if you DO end up with a STI don't be a ****ing tool and put off getting it
    sorted.

Not trying to be mean or anything brah. But your advice is a-kin to going over to the food forum and saying 'I ate nothing but cakes for 2 years and got diabetes! My advice is: don't eat cake!!1111'

ReputationRep:
    april fools!

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't April fools.

You can check my posts. I commented weeks back that I was having this done.

ReputationRep:
    Having a catheter is NOT nice at all, I speak from experience here!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Having a catheter is NOT nice at all, I speak from experience here!.
    I've had it in for 2 months and two weeks now. I'm not supposed to have one in longer than 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Dam, harsh guys! I guess i shouldn't be suprised at the comments really

I hope everything turns out ok in the end dude, i know how painful urinary problems can be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    I've had it in for 2 months and two weeks now. I'm not supposed to have one in longer than 3 weeks.

Ouch!.I had mine in for just 24 hours after my last C section.It was very uncomfortable, not to mention embarrasing having to carry the bag around with me on the ward.Have you informed anyone about the length of time you've had yours in situ for?.

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting this to be a thread about how the New World Order and Egyptians somehow gave you an STI. I'm disappointed

ReputationRep:
    I bet it was an agent of the illuminati. Good job surviving the assassination attempt, keep up the good work exposing their lies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Ouch!.I had mine in for just 24 hours after my last C section.It was very uncomfortable, not to mention embarrasing having to carry the bag around with me on the ward.Have you informed anyone about the length of time you've had yours in situ for?.
    I have. There is nothing I can do. The waiting list for this type of surgery is long. Now that the surgeon cannot operate on me, I'm going to have this cathatar in me for quite some time. I don't know how long it will be to see the Urethroplasticist.

ReputationRep:
    TSR you're damn cruel.

That must be ****ing awful, hope you get better soon. Make sure you don't contract an infection through having that catheter in all the time...

Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, get better soon matey! :love:

ReputationRep:
    If this isn't April fools, then really poor you. Hope you get better!

May I ask what disease exactly did you have?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.