Turn on thread page Beta

Facebook OWNS you watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by pol pot noodles
    So basically Zuckerberg has made something of his life, created a multi billion dollar company, and you're jealous?
    The stock markets are not illeagal, and unless you have any evidence that Facebook fund their activities through criminal enterpise then his wealth is neither ill gotten nor undeserved.
    I will refuse to partake in your plan on the basis that you are a massive tool.

rofl, do you think i'm some commoner hating on the wealthy or successful?

I'm perfectly content, successful and wealthy. I won't profit anymore from this idea than any of the other users participating in the network.

It's because of attitudes like yours, people like me hold a disproportionate percentage of the world's wealth.

And when we try to be altruistic, we get unfounded critical feedback from the likes of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justlol)
    Originally Posted by pol pot noodles
    So basically Zuckerberg has made something of his life, created a multi billion dollar company, and you're jealous?
    The stock markets are not illeagal, and unless you have any evidence that Facebook fund their activities through criminal enterpise then his wealth is neither ill gotten nor undeserved.
    I will refuse to partake in your plan on the basis that you are a massive tool.

rofl, do you think i'm some commoner hating on the wealthy or successful?

I'm perfectly content, successful and wealthy. I won't profit anymore from this idea than any of the other users participating in the network.

It's because of attitudes like yours, people like me hold a disproportionate percentage of the world's wealth.

And when we try to be altruistic, we get unfounded critical feedback from the likes of you.
    So you're a Commie then?

ReputationRep:
    Yo OP.

Perhaps you really have been doing it wrong :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Facebook is the only thing which gets people away from wasting their life on TSR
    And going on facebook isn't wasting peoples lives? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Faecesbook can't own me if it doesn't know me.

Oh look, there's a like button on tsr too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Maann that oringial post is full of half-wittid ridiculous ideas, suggestions and thoughts.

Looks like some 12 year old had to make a report on why he doesnt like facebook.

No real facts, no evidence, no real thought through theories or suggestions.

Just complete ramblings of a weird man.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but lower number of searches will mean less opportunity to click on adwords. Yahoo owns the adword patent via a company they bought in early 2000, overture or something idk.

Google gave Yahoo billions in stock to be able to use the adwords system.

Google doesn't own adwords! Do some research, the business arrangement may have changed but I'm pretty sure this was and still is the case.
    Actually your wrong. The idea originally came from Yellow Pages but was put into practice and patented by Bill Gross of Idealabs, not Yahoo. Google eventually settled out of court with Bill Gross in 2000.

You were right about one thing, Google were sued by Overture in 2002 (Yahoo bought it after the lawsuit had started, so early 2004) due to afore mentioned patent issues. Google payed out ~$220 million (not even half a billion, stock price at the lawsuit was $85, they gave up 2.7 million shares) in shares as settlement for a perpetual licsence to the patent.

And maybe you missed that adsense (the public end of adwords) is on 90% of whitehat English websites out there. Google themselves have stated that sponsored links in searches account for roughly 4% of revenue generate by Adwords, and Google will never be toppled as the number 1 search engine.

I dont understand your original point anyway, Adwords is google's main source of income. Its irrelevant whether or not they own the patent, there are 100s of different PPC and CPM networks out there and GOOGLE Adwords is the biggest and most profitable.

The search engine specifically is more about the Google brand. Thats how it started and that is there front page that the majority of users see. Very few people really use there 100's of other tools.

ReputationRep:
    The single most overrated site on the web.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook will never die, My Mum has it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    The single most overrated site on the web.
    Overrated how?

I don't think you understand the term over-rated.

The website, i cba to search for figures but there gonna be out there, is bound to be one of the most popular on the internet, it is certaily the most popular social network. It obviously also has huge profits etc.

So, i'd like you amazing opinion on how a website with massive income and popularity, that is currently still growing and is in now way at a matured state, is over rated?

Amuse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    If you hate your supposed wealth so much, give it away, don't hate on and attempt to sabotage other people's right to make money. Everyone want's to be successful and it only appears to be those who aren't who want to ruin the dream for everybody else.
    I'd like to think one day I will be rich and successful and I sure as hell wouldn't want some little brat from The Student Room hating me for it for no other reason than I am more successful than him.

There's a word for that, it's called competition. Are you Zuckerberg's lovechild? Do you have shares in FB? I bet your a linux hater.

I mean, what is with this FB fetish you seem to have. You act like Mark invented the social network. There were hundred's before him, and there'll be many after.

Atleast with my idea, users wouldn't need to move anywhere else, as that would equate to moving from your own house to live in a hotel, when you didn't have to.

In all honesty, from the brief exchange of words that we've had, I cannot see a time where you'll be rich. You display none of the characteristics required to be a successful citizen let alone a capitalist.

Humility, confidence and imagination. If you take anything away from this conversation let it be those 3 words. You're clearly not that smart, but luckily for you a high IQ won't necessarily mean you do not fulfil your ambitions.

This hero-worshipping of celebrity and super-rich that you do and many others, is one of the primary reasons why you keep getting stiffed.

You are right on one thing, I shouldn't have got personal (the douche comment) and focused more on the benefits for the users. Thank you for unknowingly highlighting that.
    from other thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Overrated how?

The website, i cba to search for figures but there gonna be out there, is bound to be one of the most popular on the internet, it is certaily the most popular social network. It obviously also has huge profits etc.

So, i'd like you amazing opinion on how a website with massive income and popularity, that is currently still growing and is in now way at a matured state, is over rated?

Amuse me.
    Well, obviously, it's subjective. I mean to say I don't find it useful or appealing. You make a fairly trite point....it's massively popular and successful, so it can't be overrated? Surely those are the exact circumstances in which it could be overrated, rather than if it was a commercial flop.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated how?

Amuse me.

i think he meant in terms of perceived utility and market cap based on current secondary market trades.

I think you need to bow out before you get hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Well no.
    To state something is overrated you'd have to give reasons as to why, for example, it isn't as good as people say it is. The only real context of seeing how good a social network is is through popularity and profit's, and it does very well on both.

You cannot say facebook is overrated because of 'percieved utility', that literally makes no sense. That is basically saying people think you can use facebook for more than you actually can?

Seriously, your an idiot. Your posts make no sense.

Try again maybe? Keep trying, you'll look less like an idiot some time =]
    so you received the quarterly report then? Yes it's popular but you can't possibly comment on its profitability.

You're clearly a bigger douche than Mark, but without the money and talent which doesn't work in your favour.

Relax, take your meds, have some cookies and when you're in better spirits, maybe we'll continue this conversation. But tbh, I don't we will.

Now open up your FB page and give it a pearl necklace.

ReputationRep:
    so you received the quarterly report then? Yes it's popular but you can't possibly comment on its profitability.

You're clearly a bigger douche than Mark, but without the money and talent which doesn't work in your favour.

Relax, take your meds, have some cookies and when you're in better spirits, maybe we'll continue this conversation. But tbh, I don't we will.

Now open up your FB page and give it a pearl necklace.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...70359V20110107
    ' Facebook is generating profits at a faster-than-expected rate, and will likely attract so many investors this year that it will have to disclose financial data similar to a publicly traded company by April 2012'

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...016_998330.htm
    'Facebook could stand to pull in close to $1 billion in profit this year'

http://techcrunch.com/2007/10/25/per...ernet-company/
    'facebook is now 5th most valuable us internet company' - back in 07

Oh hell, I just commented on it's profitability. but wait, you said i couldnt do that? Damn, you must feel like a right **** now

Anything else i need to put?
    Maybe your too stupid to read these articles and actually realise how stupid you are.
    Bless, even resorted to trying to put some derogatory statements forward about me, the real sign of a loser, how cute

I think nmaybe you should take some GCSE Business lessons, and come back when you know a little more

ReputationRep:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...70359V20110107
    ' Facebook is generating profits at a faster-than-expected rate, and will likely attract so many investors this year that it will have to disclose financial data similar to a publicly traded company by April 2012'

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...016_998330.htm
    'Facebook could stand to pull in close to $1 billion in profit this year'

http://techcrunch.com/2007/10/25/per...ernet-company/
    'facebook is now 5th most valuable us internet company' - back in 07

Oh hell, I just commented on it's profitability. but wait, you said i couldnt do that? Damn, you must feel like a right **** now

Anything else i need to put?
    Maybe your too stupid to read these articles and actually realise how stupid you are.
    Bless, even resorted to trying to put some derogatory statements forward about me, the real sign of a loser, how cute

I think nmaybe you should take some GCSE Business lessons, and come back when you know a little more
    tut tut tut. Your quoting media sources who have a vested interest in promoting FB in a good light.

Linkedin, the business social network, said they were profitable years ago and gave rough figures, and were being valued in the media based on those figures.

Well, not too long ago, I think they filed for an IPO, and it was found out they vastly exaggerated their figures, and in fact only showed a profit, and a small at that, just a few qtrs ago.

Until you read an SEC filing, you really shouldn't take note of the numbers that are being thrown about.

Anyway douche, l8trs. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    your mum had you, does that mean you're immortal?
    Yes indeedy.

ReputationRep:
    I know what competition is you numpty, I just don't beleive in hating someone because they are more successful than you, which is why you hate Facebook. You have given no evidence as to why Zuckerberg's wealth is illegimate/ill gotten.
    He saw a opening in the market, and through hard work he built Facebook into the market leader. You go ahead with your own rival, I'm not going to stop you, all I have said is that I wont join you.
    And what's this crap about Facebook making you move?
    And frankly I don't care what your opinion of me is, you don't know a thing about me.
    However from your rhetoric it is clear that you are neither rich nor successful. You are no doubt a working class Trade Unionist 'man of the people' who can't stand the fact that Zuckerberg has made it in life while you will be working well into your 60's.
    It's not MY rival. Anyone can start it. I just dropped the idea on this forum, that's it. I didn't have to.

The hotel reference - If users were part of a network that was collectively owned and fully democratic, and a feature or a gui was available on another network that they liked, instead on moving to that network, they could ask for their own network to adopt those features.

You don't have to care about my opinion, but it hasn't changed. You're clearly trying to adopt a conservative idealogy, and by doing so you think people will see you in a certain way. But it's too put on (imitative).

I assure ol' boy, I'm no man of the people and am staunchly conservative.

Anyway GL with your endeavours. ciao
    And I will have to assure you that I am equally staunchly conservative (hell if you could be bothered you could read my other posts on this forum) and this is no act.
    I get the hotel reference now, but of course one problem with collective ownership is how to keep people interested in the project (see Ebsfleet United/MyFootballClub), and secondly funding. Ultimately Google will want a return on their investment, and I am interested to know why Google bankrolling a social network is any different to Goldman Sach/ Shady Russian businessmen.
    Cool. Only a small number of ppl will be responsible for the tech side of things. Most users will not have to change their habits.

They'll just have that extra satisfaction in knowing that this is their network, they have a say, an extension of them if you will.

Google's return is knowing they have stopped a potential competitor in their tracks who had the potential to give them trouble in the long run. Think of the resources they've spent thus far trying to compete with Facebook on the social side of things.

If ownership was an issue, in return for funding, free usage of google resources inc ads, dedicated servers and bandwidth, the 'people' could choose to give 5%.

hope that's clear enough.
    contd from other thread

ReputationRep:
    lol, that's exactly it, I claim to know everything.

jesus ppl, some of you have no imagination whatsoever.

so you're perfectly happy with the status quo?
    I don't have a Facebook account so yes, I am happy. **** you

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.