Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ever feel like your dreams have a meaning? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know this probably isn't the appropriate place to put this thread but I couldn't think of where else to put it.

There has been research on dreaming for god knows how long now. Recently I read an article somewhere about how dreams can mean something. Whether I believe this thoery I'm only now starting to contemplate.

Bare with me while I explain a dream I had a few days ago, it's kind of long I know so sorry in advance .

The other night I had a dream about these two guys called Liam and Navid (if anyone watches 90210 they'll know that they're characters from that show ). In the dream I was still attending school and there was this ball coming up. I wasn't planning on going because I thought there would be no chance in hell that any guy would ask me to go with them. I was however surprised to find that Liam came and asked me if I'd like to go with him. Before being able to reply he said think about it and then just walked away.
    Next Navid came and asked me. He was really expressive about his feelings for me and he kept sitting right up close to me and asking me to go with him, overwhelmed I accepted. The next min it's the day of the ball, I'm all dressed up and somehow I find out that Navid was in a bet to see if I'd turn up so that I could be humiliated. As he sees me all dressed up he laughs and gets in his folk's car to drive away. The rest of the dream was me getting in his car, refusing to leave and giving him what for saying how utterly horrible it was of him doing that to me.

I woke up with the dream still intact in my mind, (it was a really vivid dream) thinking that that was a really strange dream .

Lately I've been feeling that I'll never get a bf because how could anyone possibly want to date me :rolleyes:. Now I'm thinking that my worries of being single forever subconsiously created the dream I had. Now a hobby (if you can call it that) of mine is to write down any of the dreams I have that I can remember and see if I can not figure out what they mean :confused:.

Has this ever happened to anyone? What dreams have you had that you think had/have a personal message/meaning to you?

ReputationRep:
    Martin Luther King had a dream. Turns out his one had profound meaning

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking about something a lot, it's quite likely that it'll pop up in your dreams. I wouldn't say they "mean" anything though- the most you could get from a dream is perhaps insight into things that are in your sub-concscious, but that you aren't aware of. For instance, I sometimes have anxiety dreams at times when I wouldn't think of myself as stressed or anxious, but if I analyse the dream it usually leads to some conflict in my life that is causing subconscious stress.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my dreams have meaning. I don't remeber most of them anyway.

I had a dream the other day that I was pissing really thick blood, and as soon as I woke up I really needed a pee. So maybe that was my subconcious telling me to go to the toilet or else i'll wet the bed. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    ?eah, I hope dreams don't have meanings. I dreamt I battled ravenclaw students fighting on eagles with magic and a lightsabre... amongst other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    I don't think my dreams have meaning. I don't remeber most of them anyway.

I had a dream the other day that I was pissing really thick blood, and as soon as I woke up I really needed a pee. So maybe that was my subconcious telling me to go to the toilet or else i'll wet the bed. :dontknow:

Well yeah, that kind of thing happens all the time. I often dream about being really thirsty, and then I wake up... and I'm really thirsty. Spooky huh?

ReputationRep:
    Sure. If I feel like dissecting mine, I can usually explain them. Once I fell asleep listening to the Beatles after watching a horror movie with a Russian ghost.

Guess what featured in my dreams. Ringo and John could be amazing ghostbusters.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they can certainly reflect states of mind, or things you've been worrying about before you go to sleep. They can also reflect attitudes or viewpoints of yours. I think symbols do exist in dreams sometimes, but they are highly individual - 'dream dictionaries' are useless.

And, of course, dreams can be influenced by outside things, like the sound of an alarm clock, or being thirsty or needing the toilet. Also, if you've been involved in something traumatic then it's common to dream about it afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    The only.meaning I can derive from my dreams is I must be a sick *******.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not. Or I'm a complete nutter.

ReputationRep:
    God your dream is too long for me to read.
    But of course dreams have meaning. Especially those that repeat themselves. If you remember your dreams quite clearly and look at the bigger picture you can usually figure out yourself what's going on.

For example, if you have recurring dreams about running away from someone. That's because you are in actual life feeling like you are restless or you aren't being honest to yourself (and loads of other reasons).

But whatever the dream is, if you take according actions to satisfy yourself you will find they disappear. They are just projections of what's going on in your life (when they are recurring or significant).

Going back to the example of running away, if you manage to get a better grip in your life you can find that you will be dreaming the same kind of dream, but you manage to stop running; in a falling dream you manage to fly etc. I can say this is true from my own experience.

ReputationRep:
    I dreamt I was a Scenes of Crime Officer the other night.
    Instead of putting on one of those white jumpsuit things I sprayed myself with white paint :sexface:

I don't know whether I'm destined to become a SOCO or a decorator now

ReputationRep:
    wet dreams mean i ***

ReputationRep:
    I once dreamt i broke my legs after falling down the stairs at my old school. I ended up stuck in a hospital bed with loads of animals walking around my bed liek gorillas, dogs, lions etc... It turned out i could transfer my consiousness into one of the animals by touching their head. Anyway while i was in the dogs mind my mates turned up and were knocking on the door - i tried to tell them to come in but all that was coming out were barks. I put my mind back into my body and told them to ocome in and we played scrabble.

Also, i dreamt Obama became prime minister aswell as president and there were black pride parades everywhere and i had to teach the characters of the american office how to play football.

Decipher those you ****s.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.