Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically was doing lat pulldowns on a weights machine and it pulledon one of my abs somehow now it's really sore, don' know what I did wrong?

I use a v-grip like this and have done for months without problem:

not me btw in pic

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's a hernia, although I doubt it. Probably just muscle strain.

Have you recently moved up the weight? Do you contract you abdominal muscles while you do the exercise?, did you warm up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Maybe it's a hernia, although I doubt it. Probably just muscle strain.

Have you recently moved up the weight? Do you contract you abdominal muscles while you do the exercise?, did you warm up?
    Never warm up, stretch or do any cardio, I'm a very slim guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonzalez7)
    Never warm up, stretch or do any cardio, I'm a very slim guy
    There's your problem! You don't need to do loads of cardio, but you need to warm up and stretch or else things like this will happen! An ab strain (if that's what it is) can quickly turn into a hernia. I'd rest off for a while, until you feel better. If the pain doesn't reduce in the next few day go see your gp to make sure it's nothing serious. And from now on warm up. Also don't do a weight that is too heavy, it's good to push yourself, it's bad to strain yourself.

ReputationRep:
    There's your problem! You don't need to do loads of cardio, but you need to warm up and stretch or else things like this will happen! An ab strain (if that's what it is) can quickly turn into a hernia. I'd rest off for a while, until you feel better. If the pain doesn't reduce in the next few day go see your gp to make sure it's nothing serious. And from now on warm up. Also don't do a weight that is too heavy, it's good to push yourself, it's bad to strain yourself.
    cheers for the advice, will do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gonzalez7)
    cheers for the advice, will do
    It places a strain on your abs as they have to stabalise your body still. My abs used to ache while doing that with the close grip bar for heavy weights, nothing to worry about unless its a pull

ReputationRep:
    shouldn't stretch before exercise, stretch after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    shouldn't stretch before exercise, stretch after
    Why?

I've always warmed up then stretched before exercising, and most people i know do it this way.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Static stretching prior to lifting decreases strength.

Static stretching before exercise does not decrease the risk of injury.

Static stretching after exercise increases flexibility to a greater degree than static stretching before.

Dynamic stretching is ok before workout, but most people don't know what that is

Have a read

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...112pewarm.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Static stretching prior to lifting decreases strength.

Static stretching before exercise does not decrease the risk of injury.

Static stretching after exercise increases flexibility to a greater degree than static stretching before.

Dynamic stretching is ok before workout, but most people don't know what that is

Have a read

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...112pewarm.html
    Interesting read. I've always done a small warm up and then a stretched before exercise, especially before wieghts, simply because that's what I've always been told to do. Luckily when I started american football I started doing dynamic stretching.
    I would still suggest a warm up though before weight lifting just to get some good blood flow to the muscles.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting read. I've always done a small warm up and then a stretched before exercise, especially before wieghts, simply because that's what I've always been told to do. Luckily when I started american football I started doing dynamic stretching.
    I would still suggest a warm up though before weight lifting just to get some good blood flow to the muscles.
    I just do a low warm up set, and sometimes 5-10 mins on an ergo, we do dynamic stretching before boxing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.