The Student Room Group

MA Photography Central Saint Martins

Hi,

I have an interview next week for the MA photography course at Saint Martins, very nervous! Also it wasn't my first choice of the courses I applied for as I don't really know that much about the reputation of the course. Obviously st martins itself has an amazing reputation, but is that just for fashion?

I was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the course, it's reputation, alumni and of course any advice for the interview itself. Any advice would be very very helpful! Help Please!

Thanks.
Reply 1
Is anyone there?? Please HELP!!
Reply 2
I've just had my interview for MA Photography in which I was suggested to take in MA Photography at Central Saint Martins.

Have you looked up at their website? There are links for past alumni's exhbitions and career prospects as well..

http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/photography.htm#
Reply 3
Hi Jodes79,

Just wondering if you ended up going on to do the Photography MFA at CSM. If so, how are you liking the program so far? I'm in the same boat right now getting my application ready. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 4
Hi Guys,

just after being offered a place at the MA Photography at CSM. Thing is though, I've also got the opportunity to go to Edinburgh (MFA in Contemporary Art Photography) or Westminster (Photographic Studies).

Has anyone ever attended one of those courses and can give me some insights?
Would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Paul
Reply 5
I dont know a lot about the photography course at CSM but I can say that you should expect your work to be more artsy than the other courses. I also think that you'll have many more opportunities at CSM for several reasons. 1. Because its CSM and everyone assumes your amazing. 2. Because UAL is a network of colleges where you can use all the studios, libraries, and resources from all 5 colleges. 3. The Alumni support is amazing. you have many many opportunities and support through UAL after you graduate. there are services to help you find jobs, lawyers to look over your contracts pro-bono, IP protection advice, lectures, workshops, and on and on. anyway, GOOD LUCK!
Reply 6
yeah, as above for csm, i know their course, a friend is on it, is a new Ma but produces some great work already, they have a show on this week which is quite varied but at a high level. they have great speakers and are in central London
Reply 7
cheers guys, it's london for me then.
Reply 8
Hi everyone,

Like Paul, I have the choice between the university of Westminster and St Martins college for a Ma in Photography. I would like to know if you found anywhere on the website what kind of courses we will exactly have at St Martins? Do you know if there are any practical workshops?

Cheers!
Reply 9
I would also like to add that CSM tends to leave you to yourself to produce work. they tend to help guide your work. so if youre not an independent/self-motivated worker..it might not be for you. however, with that said, youre still getting your moneys worth. i dont know anyone who has ever turned down csm. xx
Well it seems a lot of people are talking about can and westminster.. From my experience, and I'm currently studying at london college of communication., UAL colleges at MA level tend to let most of the students work on their own.. But I think thats pretty much what an MA level course is all about, apart from tutorials, crits and lectures.. CSM's courses seems to be more artsy as previously mentioned though.. Anyone comparing courses should have UAL and Royal College of Art in mind as J think they're closer to each other than Westminster..
Reply 11
Hi all,
So my original post was written when I was about to have an interview at CSM, I'm now currently half way through my MA program, and loving it! I was offered a place at both CSM and LCC, I turned down CSM and chose LCC as I felt their reputation for photography MA is perhaps already better established, also the facilities for photography at LCC wins hands down! I'm really pleased with my choice.

I Totally agree with the above post in that the nature of any masters course is much more self led than a Bachelors, and that is to be expected no matter where you go. I also agree that if comparing courses then RCA and LCC are probably much closer in the competition stakes than say Westminster.

I hope this helps for anyone that is finding themselves in the same situation I was in Last year....
Reply 12
yay good luck with that
the other thing is that saint martins is a two year course and they say it provides space for much more better work, rather than a 1 year.
i was there a while ago, there campus is prety cool
Reply 13
Hi jodes79,

I've got an interview for LCC next week. I only decided really recently to do a masters course but LCC really is where I would like to do it. Could you please offer me any advice for the interview? I'm very nervous and it would be incredible to have some ideas of how to prepare for it.

really hope your course is going well!x
Original post by PaulHutch
Hi Guys,

just after being offered a place at the MA Photography at CSM. Thing is though, I've also got the opportunity to go to Edinburgh (MFA in Contemporary Art Photography) or Westminster (Photographic Studies).

Has anyone ever attended one of those courses and can give me some insights?
Would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Paul

Hi Paul
I know it has been very long time, but can you still remember what questions has been asked in St.Martins Photography interview? It would be very helpful of you. Thank you so much!
Original post by jodes79
Hi all,
So my original post was written when I was about to have an interview at CSM, I'm now currently half way through my MA program, and loving it! I was offered a place at both CSM and LCC, I turned down CSM and chose LCC as I felt their reputation for photography MA is perhaps already better established, also the facilities for photography at LCC wins hands down! I'm really pleased with my choice.

I Totally agree with the above post in that the nature of any masters course is much more self led than a Bachelors, and that is to be expected no matter where you go. I also agree that if comparing courses then RCA and LCC are probably much closer in the competition stakes than say Westminster.

I hope this helps for anyone that is finding themselves in the same situation I was in Last year....

Hi Jodes
I know it has been very long time, but can you still remember what questions has been asked in St.Martins Photography interview? It would be very helpful of you. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest