Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware this can be done by substitution or recognition. However, when I try and do this by parts, I get the integral in terms of itself (I = 1+ I +c) which then cancels out to give an error unless c=-1. Why can I not do this by parts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takeonme79)
    I'm aware this can be done by substitution or recognition. However, when I try and do this by parts, I get the integral in terms of itself (I = 1+ I +c) which then cancels out to give an error unless c=-1. Why can I not do this by parts?
    By recognition will be ln|lnx| because (ln(x))'=1/x
    By substitution: recognize what to substitute and what with

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know what the answer is by substitution or recognition but I would like to know why parts fails for this.

ReputationRep:
    When you put in limits you'll find that the 1 part of that expression evaluates to zero.  1^{b}_{a} = 0

Be aware that indefinite integrals take a little more thinking about when integrating by parts.

So you end up with I = I

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that when getting a constant like the one above in an indefinite integration by parts, that the constant evaluates to 0. What an evil trick!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by takeonme79)
    Thanks, I wasn't aware that when getting a constant like the one above in an indefinite integration by parts, that the constant evaluates to 0. What an evil trick!
    It's not about the constant evaluating to anything, it's just that if you put in limits then all of the constant terms automatically cancel. It's an arbitrary constant of integration -- it can take any value (the value may be specified, e.g. by saying that the graph of the integral passes through a certain point). So if you integrate something using two different methods and you end up with two functions that differ by a constant, then that's fine, because the integration constant is arbitrary and so when limits are applied you get the same answer.

Take \sin x \cos x for example. Now, \dfrac{d}{dx} \sin^2 x = 2\sin x \cos x and \dfrac{d}{dx} \cos^2 x = -2\sin x \cos x, and so:

\displaystyle \int \sin x \cos x\, dx = \dfrac{1}{2}\sin^2 x + C

or alternatively

\displaystyle \int \sin x \cos x\, dx = -\dfrac{1}{2}\cos^2 x + C

The issue arises because the "+C" you add needn't be the same in each case. [Note that the two functions here do only differ by a constant because of the identity \cos^2 x = 1-\sin^2 x.]

I've only gone into so much detail here because this issue comes up a lot and catches people off-guard.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, i didn't mean the constant of integration. i meant that if you attempt integration by parts on the integral of 1/(x ln x) you get the answer in the form I = 1 + I. I was referring to the constant 1.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.