Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently studying AS Level Physics and, as a student who achieved a grade A for IGCSE Physics, I didn't expect to find AS Level Physics difficult, but unfortunately, particularly with the Multiple Choice Paper 1 I find myself having a hard time.

I have done many past papers and most of the time I get approximately 22 or 23/40, which is most of the time a grade E. Occasionally, I get 27-28-29ish, which could be a grade C or B...

I am wondering if anyone out there has any tips, is there any tactical approach I could take with this paper, to ensure that I receive a higher grade? Are there any websites you might recommend? Please help... Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    When I meet people who are good at the written but are bad at the multiple choice I usually tell them to do the question first, not looking at the answers, as you would in the written (i.e. write down the answer either beside the question or on a scrap bit of paper). Then compare with the answers given. Many people feel inticed into giving an answer because it sounds right/close to the answer you would give. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    When I meet people who are good at the written but are bad at the multiple choice I usually tell them to do the question first, not looking at the answers, as you would in the written (i.e. write down the answer either beside the question or on a scrap bit of paper). Then compare with the answers given. Many people feel inticed into giving an answer because it sounds right/close to the answer you would give. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the reply, but I actually do that already, use a piece of paper to solve the question, as opposed to looking at what makes most sense... But thanks..

ReputationRep:
    this site gives some tips on revising multiple choice questions http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher...le/revision/1/

ReputationRep:
    I am too facing the same difficulties with MCQ. I am improving my grades in OCT/NOV session. Please if somebody could help. I tried a lot, but i get around 22/40 which is not at all good. I have been spending day and night but i cannot see positive. Please if someone could help.

ReputationRep:
    You guys need to get used to the sheer brutality of AS level. Just grind through it and you will be ok.

ReputationRep:
    The multi choice paper is harder to practise on your own because of course the mark-schemes give no hints whatsoever.

For some exam boards extra help is available, for example with CIE you sometimes find a bit more info in the Examiners Report which is also made available and which you should be able to find online somewhere.

Otherwise, when you can't see why the answer is what it is, then you'll need to ask, either your teacher, a tutor or here online. It will get easier but it will take time and practice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 7, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.