Turn on thread page Beta

Suspended studies - job seekers? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys basically i have suspended my studies until january next year bcoz of personal reasons and i do currently have a job but its no where near enough to pay rent etc. im just wondering if im allowed to claim any benefits while ive suspended and currently looking for more hours for the 9 months ive suspended?

thanks

alex

ReputationRep:
    As long as you are not currently counted as studying full time, you should be able to claim as anyone else would be able to, though you will need a letter from your course provider which confirms that you are not currently studying as proof before anywhere will consider a claim from you. What you can claim depends on your circumstances. If you are working under 16 hours per week then you might qualify for some Jobseekers Allowance, but the amount will depend on how much you earn per week - if you're earning £60 pw or more it's doubtful you'll qualify for any. If you're working over 30 hours per week and are over 25, you might qualify for some Working Tax Credit. In either case, if you are living in rented accommodation, you may qualify for Housing and/or Council Tax Benefit as this is for all on low incomes with rent/council tax to pay - as you're not currently a student, you will probably have to pay council tax if you live away from your parents house, so these benefits can go part of the way to meet these costs. However, again, the amount you would get depends on your circumstances, such as how much you earn, how old you are, the area you live in, how much rent you pay and other things as well!

ReputationRep:
    You may still be considered a student by the uni, if this is the case you wouldn't be entitled. Happened to a friend of mine, he was taking a year out but still considered a student.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.