Turn on thread page Beta

Are 4yr courses really that bad? watch

ReputationRep:
    im gona be 20 in november just starting a 4 year course originally went for the 5 (with foundation but discoered i had the requirements to skip foundation)

i dont think there anything wrong with it so where a bit late than some others who care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I'd rather go to Dundee, but Aberystwyth is appealing due to the 3yr course. So I'm completly stuck atm.
    Scottish unis have lower fees (£1800) as opposed to £3200.
    So you'd actually pay less in fees, despite an extra year

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the fact that you'll be 24 before you graduate be a factor. Its not a race, and even though you may feel a bit 'behind' others your age, that's not how life works.

I'll be graduating (for the second time) at 29, lots of people start their dream careers much much older than that.

Do the degree that you will enjoy the most and that you feel will lead you to the places you want to end up, even if it takes you a little longer to get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    So I could go on a economics degree and come out with a degree in Spanish?
    Yes, assuming there were no clashes in the timetable and you got enough credits in Spanish.

Y1 Economics Spanish Geography (for example)
    Y2 Economics Spanish Geography

You could either do a degree in economics, geography or spanish or a combination of these three at joint honours.

ReputationRep:
    I started a 4-year course (language, of course) at 22, I'll finish just before I'm 26. I know this is a student forum, so inherently young people, but seriously, people on here act like you're practically over the hill by your late 20s. Look at it this way: there are people changing their minds about life and careers in their 30s/40s/50s - one extra year at uni when you're in your early 20s is nothing, you're still young, don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry. I'll be 21 when I start my 4 year degree in September, so I'll be 25 by the time I start looking for a job. Like someone said, its not a race. I can understand that feeling of being left behind, but its much more sensible to go to university when the time's right for you. I left after my A Levels not knowing what to do at uni or whether I even wanted to go. So I didnt. Got a job, a bit of life of experience, grew up a bit and finally realised what I wanted to do in life Nothing's ever too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjcw20)
    I wouldnt worry. I'll be 21 when I start my 4 year degree in September, so I'll be 25 by the time I start looking for a job. Like someone said, its not a race. I can understand that feeling of being left behind, but its much more sensible to go to university when the time's right for you. I left after my A Levels not knowing what to do at uni or whether I even wanted to go. So I didnt. Got a job, a bit of life of experience, grew up a bit and finally realised what I wanted to do in life Nothing's ever too late.
    Yeah, Its just both unis are really appealing to me, then the 3 vs. 4yr seems to be the only decideing factor at the minute. I guess I've got no option now but to visit both....that or go to coleraine.

what part of belfast your form btw?

ReputationRep:
    Is the 4 year course with one of the years in work placement? If so I'd definitely go for that one. If not would the extra year really be with it? I think a visit to both would definitely make your decision easier yeah. I'm in west Belfast, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Do it! I'm on a 4 year degree, started at nearly 20. I'm almost halfway through now and it's FLOWN.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only do a 4 year course if it involved a placement year tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGoat)
    Scottish unis have lower fees (£1800) as opposed to £3200.
    So you'd actually pay less in fees, despite an extra year
    yeah but if your include the £1000 a year bursary that aber would give its more like 1800x4=7200 vs. 3200-1000x3=6600. However aber is going to cost a ridiculus amount to get to and from there. But I alway have the two 3yr course to pick from.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.