A single european foreign policy is neither achievable nor desirable
:mad:
Justify your statement please.
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think you'll find that its probably the best way forward for our country. I like having our own sterling but we have to change over some time - it feels wrong, but on the whole will do a lot of good for the economy
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's good because those who are poor at maths, you can con them for a while. Also I shall be able to shop on all European sites.

I haven't actually looked at what it would do for the economy but based on those two points above, I think it would be a superb idea.
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
Who agrees with me on this point:
I agree you just have to look at the recent european meeting thing that was abandoned because none of teh coutnries could agree on anything. OUr own politicians can't even egree so widening things out to include Europe would be a nightmare
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Dont all 50 US states have a single currency?
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
contrary to popular opinion, yes they do.
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *dave*)
what's you point?
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
It's good because those who are poor at maths, you can con them for a while. Also I shall be able to shop on all European sites.

I haven't actually looked at what it would do for the economy but based on those two points above, I think it would be a superb idea.
Yeh, and look at the economic millstones around France and Germany's necks.
*dave*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
Who agrees with me on this point:
I was responding to this point ... if all of europe is gradually becoming more and more a single country, then a single currency is needed. It is achieveable, it just takes time. The single currency is very desirable - just ask any British exporter.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by calumc)
I don't really see the point in having a single currency. Heck, we speak different languages, and no-one's ever going to try and introduce a "Euro-language" to stop that, so why attempt the equivalent with currency?
Actually there is an euro language, with words from many european countries. Last time I read about that was about 3 years ago.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why couldn't they just take the most popular language and strongest currency and adopt them accross the continent? Oh, wait, that would mean more english speaking, pound spending people than ever before.

How about we accept the Euro, but keep the pund in cerculation untill the exchange rates are around the same, then simply merge the two currencies. A sudden change would make the economy go nuts.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why don't we create a single currency with the USA. Get a couple of other countries in (say the aussies and japan) and create a new treatie. corner the free market with financial power. True capitalism. Then let Europe join. True world peace within the Century, as no-one could afford to have an army anymore.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OMFG

Scratch that, the USA is mad. Just heard the schools in Georga have banned the word EVOLUTION as it is regarded as provocotive.

The textbooks are being rewritten with natural selection refered to as "gradual natural changes" or something like that.

Nuts.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think we should srick with the pound
]{ingnik
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by angel D)
i think we should srick with the pound
why?
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Euro has to be approached with caution.

If we compare the British economy to European ones, they are in very different states.

One point is pensions, our pension sytem is struggling, but our pension assets as a percentage of our GDP is nearly 100% - Germany's is just over 10% and France's is less 3%. There is a pensions crisis looming in Europe which at the moment we can avoid, but if we were part of the Euro, it would be our problem too and we would be expected to help others.

A problem is the control of our economy, at the moment the BOE can cut interest rates quickly if neccessary, the ECB has to act for at least 12 different economies.

If we had been part of the Euro, Gordon Brown would not have been allowed to borrow £10 billion of what he did borrow.

Another comparison of the economies is the unemployment rate, ours is very low now, the lowest it has been for 25 years and half the average Eurozone unemployment rate.

There are other reasons, not least the fact that Europe has never actually got on with itself for centuries, but these are some of the main ones.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
28.57%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
14.29%
No- I want it (3)
42.86%
No- I don't want it (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads