Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people only remember the things you don't do or haven't done? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just want some opinions on this.

Why do people seem to only remember the things you haven't done or didn't do - but have seemingly forgotten about the things that you have done in the past (especially if it's the same thing they're asking you to do?)

Is it just selective-memory, or is it something more?

ReputationRep:
    It can be selective memory or maybe their the kind of person who associates more strongly with things you haven't done rather than those you have had - indicates the over-evaluating nature. Aside from memory, I think it has a lot to do with the person's personality, for instance, some people soley focus what should be done rather than what has been done. Bit like some people see the glass as half full, others see it as half empty- similar logic.

ReputationRep:
    If you are consistently nice to someone, but then on the odd occasion you fail to do something, they are more likely to remember this. I therefore find it better to be consistently vile to people, so when you do something nice this is out of character and they appreciate it more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    If you are consistently nice to someone, but then on the odd occasion you fail to do something, they are more likely to remember this. I therefore find it better to be consistently vile to people, so when you do something nice this is out of character and they appreciate it more...
    But you have tits, so you can. Wish I could do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I just want some opinions on this.

Why do people seem to only remember the things you haven't done or didn't do - but have seemingly forgotten about the things that you have done in the past (especially if it's the same thing they're asking you to do?)

Is it just selective-memory, or is it something more?
    Some psychology experiments showed that people are able to remember incomplete sentences better than completed sentences (I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalingaTheSlinga)
    But you have tits, so you can. Wish I could do that
    The power of the boobs is undeniable :yes:

ReputationRep:
    from Locke John we are different from others in the sense that our consciousness, self consciousness and memory can only be accessed by our self. So the reason we can't remember what others have done is that we can't have access to their consciousness, self consciousness and memory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nananom)
    from Locke John we are different from others in the sense that our consciousness, self consciousness and memory can only be accessed by our self. So the reason we can't remember what others have done is that we can't have access to their consciousness, self consciousness and memory.
    That is true, but still I have met some people who are able to remember what a friend/family member has done for them in the past even if they've recently faltered in some way. Guess it only applies to some people hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about you OP, but when I'm happy about something, the happiness tends to wear off pretty quickly, maybe a day tops. When something pisses me off, I can be angry for days about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.