Turn on thread page Beta

Same person, two personalities. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently made a friend at uni. We spend a lot of time together. When it's just the two of us, he is amazingly nice and is such a sweet guy. Around others, he changes into an overconfident, ego-maniac jerk.

At first, I thought he was just a typical guy - acting big in front of his mates.

However, I've got to know him a lot better and it turns out that he's not always been this way.

He's been through a lot in terms of never being good enough for his family (his brother is idolised even though he's working in Next for a living, and my friend is at uni and working Friday and Saturday nights in McDonalds which he absolutely hates but needs the money), he's been through a lot with his ex, and just generally, he's a bit ****ed up.

He has trust issues. But he trusts me.

He's helped me a lot in terms with my depression. I was quite uptight and he's made me relaxed and fun to be around. I had no friends, and now because of him, I've been able to bond with people and make friends.

I want to help him. I asked him if I could. He didn't seem convinced that he could as apparently he's too far in. But I managed to convince him.

But now, I have no idea how to 'fix' him. How on earth do I make him better?

Pretty much, he needs to work on his trust issues, and stop with the act of being someone who doesn't give a ****. He is terrified of getting hurt.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think he "needs to work" on "fixing" himself when you've had issues yourself and he's helped you?

Isn't friendship enough?

By being friends with him you are helping and showing him people can be trusted and that he has worth. It's a gradual process.
    Trying to "fix" him could backfire, he might feel exploited or vulnerable. Just be a friend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magsam)
    Why do you think he needs to work on fixing himself when you've had issues yourself and he's helped you?

Isn't friendship enough?

By being friends with him you are helping and showing him people can be trusted and that he has worth. It's a gradual process.
    Trying to fix him could backfire, he might feel exploited or vulnerable. Just be a friend!
    Because he helped me, and I want to return the favour.

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.