Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't correlate with dress size at all, they are two completely different things.

For example, when I was really into my fitness my BMI was 24 but I was a size 6/8. Now I've lost a bit of muscle and my BMI is down to 21, although I'm a size 8/10. Don't rely on BMI, measurements are a much better indicator.

ReputationRep:
    BMI: 23.4
    Dress size: UK 6-8

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'9 and have a BMI between 21 and 22. I'm a size 10.

Don't worry about stuff like BMI and clothes size though. As long as you're fit, healthy and YOU feel you look good in what you're wearing it's all good

ReputationRep:
    5ft 10
    BMI of 22

Dress sizes ranges from a size 6 -12 but I'm mostly a size 6 on top and 10 on bottom

(Original post by HeatherHatter)
    My BMI is 20.7, my height is 5'10"
    It depends on which shop I'm in which size I need, I bought a tshirt out of M&S a couple of days ago and it's a bit baggy, but it's a size 8, same with a jumper from Tesco whereas I need size 16 or 18 in other shops and I can't get any jeans in H&M to fit at all since even their biggest size won't button up
    So as plenty people have said, it depends where you go for clothes what size you'll need, and BMI really isn't an indicator.
    The jeans thing is horrible especially for us tall women. I have to go a size up sometimes if the length is not long enough. H & M for tall women is not a good place at all to buy jeans and they are about 1-2 sizes smaller than other shops

(Original post by sheepy18)
    How is that possible??? I have bmi of 37 and am a 20 to be a 14 I'd need a bmi of about 26
    Depends on the person's height, body fat, where they carry their fat e.t.c

ReputationRep:
    BMI- 18.33

Measurements: 30-25-35½

Jeans are a size 8/10 and tops are size 6/8. I don't ever wear dresses, but I suppose I'd be an 6/8.

My height is 171cms, and my BF is around 20%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userdloat)
    BMI is rubbish if you have more than average body muscle for your height/weight.
    Mine's about 25-26 and i'm a size 8-10
    To be honest I think 95% of females will have average or below average muscle. I think only males have to worry about the BMI not being accurate, take me for example my BMI is 26.6 yet my body fat percentage is around 15%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    The jeans thing is horrible especially for us tall women. I have to go a size up sometimes if the length is not long enough. H & M for tall women is not a good place at all to buy jeans and they are about 1-2 sizes smaller than other shops
    I know! I always wear boots so that nobody can see that my jeans are too short! Next do good skinny jeans though, even although I can never get long enough ones, and in the sale you can get them for £3 sometimes I've given up on normal jeans to be honest, I can never find any to fit :L skinny jeans with elasticated waistbands are the way forward!

ReputationRep:
    my BMI is 24 and Im a size 10-12, height 5'5. Im not very slim though, theres some fairly gross photo's in the transformation thread thing. I think BMI is a bit dodgy though, one of my housemates has higher than me and is about the same size and another has about 26 or something and is a size 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    To be honest I think 95% of females will have average or below average muscle. I think only males have to worry about the BMI not being accurate, take me for example my BMI is 26.6 yet my body fat percentage is around 15%.
    You'd be suprised, my bmi atm is also 26.6 and yet my body fat % is about 15% and my muscle is about 58.8%, so apparently I'm overweight at a size 8/10

It's not just body muscle that makes it rubbish either, it's all about bone structure and leg/body length, my housemates bmi is in the 30's as he is 13 stone and 5 foot 2, but it says that his ideal weight based on his bmi is about 8 stone 7. He has very broad shoulders and quite a stocky build, if he were to lose 4+ stone, he would look extremely ill, he just looks a little chubby now, not even fat although bmi says he is obese.

Waist measurement and hip measurement is the way to go!

ReputationRep:
    BMI 19, dress size 6-8 (height 5'4")

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userdloat)
    my housemates bmi is in the 30's as he is 13 stone and 5 foot 2, but it says that his ideal weight based on his bmi is about 8 stone 7. He has very broad shoulders and quite a stocky build,
    im the same, cept im just over a stone heavier but i do have a large frame

ReputationRep:
    BMI: 16.3
    Top: size 6-8
    Bottom: 8-10
    Height: 5'9''

edit: why the neg? only being honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Your BMI will not always necessarily correlate with your dress size as it is dependant on your height so it's not a great measurement.

In any case, my BMI is about 22 and I'm a dress size 10.
    SNAP! *high 5*

ReputationRep:
    I hope you've lost the weight you wanted to lose

Erm, I'm a dress size 8 (occasionally 10, if I want something like a jacket which doesn't have to be tight-fitting) and my BMI's 19.8

EDIT: I'm 5 '4 btw.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5 foot 8 and a half, dress size 16 (but 14 for waisted skirts ) and BMI 28

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Dress size 6-10.
    Measurements: 32-24-37

ReputationRep:
    Not exact but approx. 22.4
    Size 10
    Measurements: 36-30.5-36.5

Tbf, all I've been eating for the last 2 weeks were cakes, biscuits, chocolates, rice and curry. (My uncle died two weeks ago so I've been with his family at their house almost everyday and they're not very health-conscious so all I've had to eat was junk! )
    Also, I've not had enough sleep so my metabolism's more screwed up than it was before and I've also gained more than I've lost in the last month

ReputationRep:
    BMI - approx 23
    Height - 5'3
    Dress size - 10/12
    Measurements - 38 - 27 - 39

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is 19.1
    Dress size 8/10
    depending on the shop or style/fit of clothing

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.