Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    size 12 :L
    5"6

ReputationRep:
    Size 8/10, 5'6/7ish, BMI 21.3. Haha, my BMI is definitely one of the bigger for what size I actually am. Well that's swimming for you I guess!

ReputationRep:
    BMI=18.9, dress size 8

^wanna be bigger though lool x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el pollo diablo)
    Depends on your height as to whether a 12-14 is 'big' or not. On someone tall, no. On someone really short, then maybe.

Obese is a lot smaller than people think - mainly because we're so used to seeing overweight people nowadays. What most people picture as just 'obese' is usually closer to 'morbidly obese'.

BMI is a reasonably good tool unless you're a serious athlete.
    I've always been told that BMI is useless as it does brand people obese who aren't. I wouldnt call myself obese at all. Oh & I'm 5'8 so reasonably tall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conniebee)
    I'm like you. I'm 19 years old, 5ft 3 (I think the doctor said 5'3 anyway when I went for the pill), size 14/16 and by that BBC BMI counter I'm obese with a 31.2 BMI. But if you look at me, I'm certainly not huge. But I think it all depends on your body shape. If I lost 3-4 stone like the BMI calculator recommends for me to be 'normal' I'd look odd as I have shapely hips.
    Well Im only 17 but I't 5ft 8 so a lot taller. Dont see how a size 14/16 is obese, not even a 18 is! My friend is actually annorexic like she's actually been diagnosed with it, but her BMI says she is normal, and so if she went off that there'd be nothing wrong with her eating habits. I don't like the thing at all If you're happy with the way you look then no need to worry about dress size ey

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is 23 and I'm a 12-14 and 5'9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahH93)
    I've always been told that BMI is useless as it does brand people obese who aren't.
    Well sure it's not perfect. It's just a rough guide. There will always be outliers. That doesn't mean it's useless however.

That's why I gave the example of athletes as being an exception. They're likely to have more muscle mass, making them relatively heavy for their size. For the vast majority of the untrained population it's a reasonably good measure, although more for demographics rather than on an individual scale (much like IQ scores).

The divisions of underweight/normal/overweight/obese aren't really hard and fast either, they just had to draw the line somewhere. Doctors know this. Again, like IQ tests, it functions well as a statistical tool, but the general population get hold of it and take it as some kind of holy grail measure.

(My BMI is always considerably higher than those of people the same height/size as me too BTW.)

ReputationRep:
    BMI - 16.8

Clothes size - 4

Oh and I'm 5"1

ReputationRep:
    BMI - 22.9
    Clothes size - between 12 and 14, mostly 14 on top and 12 on bottom
    Height - 5"6
    Weight - 10st 2

Had a massive stomach back when I was around 8st 7 too though (and about the same height) - is that normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razzmatazz rach)
    You add 4 to the US dress size to get the UK dress size.

As far as I know 4 is the smallest UK size as that is a size 0 in the US but I have only ever seen size 6+ clothes in shops.
    thanks for the info.
    34-24-34 BMI about 18.83 weight 7stones 7 pounds to 7 pounds 8.
    I am 5 feet 2 inches/3 inches. I wear a size 2 or 4 Petite in American dress sizes.
    UK dress size 8.

ReputationRep:
    20.5 and a size 10ish but can vary

ReputationRep:
    my BMI was 27, I was size 14/16, it's now 22-23 and I'm size 10. I'm 5ft 4

ReputationRep:
    BMI 36.4

clothes size 14 (or blokes XL in tshirts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    BMI 36.4

clothes size 14 (or blokes XL in tshirts)
    How is that possible??? I have bmi of 37 and am a 20 to be a 14 I'd need a bmi of about 26

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheepy18)
    How is that possible??? I have bmi of 37 and am a 20 to be a 14 I'd need a bmi of about 26
    you realise there is no connection between BMI and clothes size right? there is soooooooo much more to it than that

ReputationRep:
    BMI of around 28ish (just estimating my height) and size 14/16
    I'd like to be less though, working on it haha

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is 20.7, my height is 5'10"
    It depends on which shop I'm in which size I need, I bought a tshirt out of M&S a couple of days ago and it's a bit baggy, but it's a size 8, same with a jumper from Tesco whereas I need size 16 or 18 in other shops and I can't get any jeans in H&M to fit at all since even their biggest size won't button up
    So as plenty people have said, it depends where you go for clothes what size you'll need, and BMI really isn't an indicator.

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is about 21 and I'm a size 8 or 10

ReputationRep:
    bmi:19.5. Size 8/10. Height 5ft 6.

Unrelated, but I think vanity sizing it taking over the high street.

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is about 17.7 and I wear size 6, sometimes 8.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2012
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.