The Student Room Group

How did you deal with rejection?

I'm sure many of the students here have experienced the same, share your viewpoint! How are you reacting to this setback?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm one of those people who think that everything happens for a reason :smile: Ask the uni why you got rejected, and if you really want to go there you could re-apply next year. But look on the bright side, at least you've got a place somewhere :smile:
I think of the advantages of being rejected from a particular place... Like I was rejected from Dundee, and I thought "That's fine... i've still to hear from Stirling..." then I had a little cry and ate a load of junk food. But now I'll probably get rejected from Stirling... and i'll probably say "at least I can go to college..." and cry more and eat more junk food...
Just think of the bright side to things. You've been accepted other places, the ones that rejected you are clearly just missing out!
Reply 3
I never really got over my rejection, it was the only uni I really wanted to go to. I suppose I'll get over it when I go off to uni next year, but it's a bitter pill to swallow. I understand what you're feeling, and it'll nag at you for a while, but it'll pass soon enough. After all, there's nothing you can do about it now; just try and put it out of your mind :smile:
Reply 4
I've been eating a lot of chocolate :yep: too much in fact.

I wanted to go to LSE, now I'm going to king's college london but for a slightly different course and not one that will realistically open doors to the career I want.
I didn't have to. Winning.
Reply 6
pfft, it's their loss :yep:
Reply 7
got depressed, gained 4 stone lol
Original post by Fumblenuts91
I perform my affirmation rituals and then masturbate through the tears until sleep claims me.

LOL brilliant - plus repped.
Reply 9
Yeah it definitely is a good university I am grateful that I have got a place there especially considering the current level of competition.

But I'm very career-orientated as opposed to an academic, so I look at every uni through the perspective of potential employers.

I wanted to do BSc maths and economics, now doing maths with management and finance at KCL.

The most frustrating thing is that I was offered the place by LSE last year but failed to meet my offer by 2 UMS points :sigh: so it's even harder knowing you were good enough to get the offer and then failed at the last hurdle. That's why I re-applied this year with my improved grades. I like to think I've done well, I have A*AA but didn't get it when it mattered most.
Reply 10
Yeah I totally understand. Its a horrible feeling that makes you question everything about yourself - your approach to academics, your priorities in life, your attitude and so on. I constantly ask myself whether I am destined to fail, and this it is this question that hinders my motivation to do pretty much anything right now.

Sorry OP, can't really offer much advice, other than to tell you that I'm going through the same thing :frown:
Original post by Zynx
I've been eating a lot of chocolate :yep: too much in fact.

I wanted to go to LSE, now I'm going to king's college london but for a slightly different course and not one that will realistically open doors to the career I want.

Why don't you take a year out, and apply for it next year? Maybe do a course that will lead to it, or work on why you never got in, work experience etc? There's no point having to do a course that you're not really in to.
Reply 12
With my first rejection I was sad, cried a little, then I was over it. But with Kings I was/still am devistated. I really want to take a gap year and apply again, but I know there is a big chance I still won't get in and with the fees and all it seems like everything is telling me not to. It is good to know I'm not alone in taking it badly, everyone else I talk to doesn't seem bothered with rejections. It is so poo that my 2 rejections were my top 2 choices -.- ahhh well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Booze, women, not necessarily in that order. Actually, past the first hour it wasn't too bad. Carelessness ftw!
Reply 14
Died a little inside every time unsuccessful came up on my UCAS screen :| which was a lot seeing as I got rejected from 4 out of 5 places... I'm considering taking a gap year and reapplying to Durham and Nottingham though, I really wanted to go to either of those and I was devastated when I didn't get in. So I'm hopeful for next year, stops me being too depressed at the minute.
Reply 15
I know how you feel- i'm a re-applicant for medicine and have been rejected AGAIN i have offers for other courses but not medicine.... just pick yourself and move on, this is life, it can be **** and you have to find your own happiness somehow never mind how hard. xxx
Reply 16
Happy eyes :smile:

There isn't much you can do, but still don't feel that bad, there are hundreds of people out there who would love to have the ability to even think about achieving those grades. I'd say talk to your college career guy and try and get the best help. There are loads of people who go to their second choice uni and still say that uni was the best experience of their lives, it really just depends on your attitude about the others.
Don't let yourself down, because in reality you've still done amazingly well!
Reply 17
Original post by Zynx
I got a rejection the other day from the one course/uni that was the whole reason I re-applied for. I couldn't believe it at first, I refreshed track and moved my head closer to the screen just to confirm what I was seeing..."Unsuccessful" :sigh:

I've got some offers, and I've had some rejections...but there are two types of rejections, ones that you couldn't really care less about and the other which seemingly have a huge impact on your plans and career goals.

This rejection has basically been a huge setback to my career ambitions and I've had to start re-evaluating things and think up of alternatives. Thinking about postgraduate and all that.

I feel quite crushed tbh, finding it hard to sleep, restless and impatient and just down-beat. All my friends and family are noticing it but I'm pretending like I'm perfectly happy with the other uni I'll be going to.

I'm sure many of the students here have experienced the same, share your viewpoint! How are you reacting to this setback?

1. Thinking of Adjustment personally myself
2. Planning of doing a psotgraduate at the university I wanted to go to originally
Unfortunatley LSE dont accept retake applicants so applying again as some have suggested would be a wastes of time.
Reply 19
Original post by Iqbal007
1. Thinking of Adjustment personally myself
2. Planning of doing a psotgraduate at the university I wanted to go to originally

Try not to put too much faith in Adjustment - it has a really low success rate (something like ~400 people managed to find an alternative place in the two years it's been running). I tried it out last year and found that no 'top' unis have places available. Plus there'll be the extra hassle/doubt as you probably won't have visited any uni that you might find, and most accommodation will probably be gone..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending