Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm in year 13 at school. I'm firming Southampton to study Psychology with an offer of AAB (which were my predicted grades). Now though, I achieved 100% in all my January exams and am more looking at grades A*AA to A*A*A; so as you may imagine I'm annoyed I didn't try as hard in AS.

I want to complete my degree at Southampton and ideally obtain a first, I will then need to study a Masters and PHD as my final goal is to become a clinical psychologist or go into research.

If I attain a first at Southampton what are the chances of me going to a 'better' university, even as high as Cambridge or Oxford? I feel their postgraduate courses will be full of people already at the university?

Thanks for your help!

On a side note, I have thought about Adjustment but I'm applying to an already competitive course so I highly doubt other universities will have places for straight Psychology!

ReputationRep:
    Getting onto the professional doctorate programme for Clinical Psychology anywhere is tough so don't concern yourself with the reputation of the university you could ultimately end up at for doing that.
    Work experience is more important than where you did your undergraduate degree in the process of becoming a clinical psychologist. I would start putting out feelers for that as soon as you start at Southampton.

A Masters degree isn't really necessary for the professional doctorate programme, and isn't strictly necessary for many research degrees either, although it might improve your chances of getting funding.

If you're wanting to get a PhD in psychology, in three or four years time, I doubt you'll be worrying about getting into a 'better' university. You'll be concerned with finding a suitable supervisor who you think you can work with for three or four years. You'll also be concerned with securing funding. To a certain extent, getting funding is dependent on where you apply to, but the whole notion of getting into a 'better' university is fairly redundant at that stage. It will not be the only thing on your mind at any rate.

Concentrate on getting the first and maybe even getting your undergraduate dissertation published. It does happen.

ReputationRep:
    SOTON isn't that bad. I'm on course for A*A*A*A* and Imperial rejected me without even issuing an interview. Cambridge rejected me after interview and Bristol rejected me for the course I applied to but transferred me to another course. This year is apparantly ridiculously competitive. You can see what unis still have places left by going onto UCAS and checking the subjects. If they have a grey 'x' next to them, they're listed on UCAS extra and i'd expect a lot of them to be on adjustment.

Postgraduate studies can be done anywhere provided you achieve the requirements; achieve good grades and can afford the fees or have creditable sponsorship.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have contact with a neuropsychologist who I've already had work experience with, so I guess from that perspective it's good. I didn't know dissertations where published; I'm certainly going to work on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have contact with a neuropsychologist who I've already had work experience with, so I guess from that perspective it's good. I didn't know dissertations where published; I'm certainly going to work on that!
    Southampton is in the Russell Group, its a research lead institution, you need nothing more (and you could make do with a lot less) but in reality you just need to work your ass off and be clever (which you probably do already, what with all the A's).

Where you do your degree(s) doesn't matter, having a good supervisor and the resources to conduct your research is what matters.

Take it one step at a time though, things only get more competitive,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    Southampton is in the Russell Group, its a research lead institution, you need nothing more (and you could make do with a lot less) but in reality you just need to work your ass off and be clever (which you probably do already, what with all the A's).

Where you do your degree(s) doesn't matter, having a good supervisor and the resources to conduct your research is what matters.

Take it one step at a time though, things only get more competitive,
    Thanks

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.