Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IB help for overseas student watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm an oversea student and will be attending IB curriculum based school that intends to offer the following subjects:

http://i53.tinypic.com/rix2mb.jpg

Which subjects should I choose? I'm more into science than subjects like history etc.

ReputationRep:
    I assume you know that taking the IB means you do have to take at least 2 non-science related subjects (english and a foreign language is compulsory). You dont have to take the arts but you would have to substitute it with a Humanities subject (ie group 3 subjects). You can take two from group 4 (ie the physical sciences) but only in rare circumstances would you be able to take a third science (hence the asterisk after "Third Science" in group 3). Its not good for others to choose your subjects for you, you should choose it based on merits of your own interests, strengths, aptitudes, and what you want to study in university.

However the framework - according to your preferences - could go something like this:

Group 1: English (compulsory)
    Group 2: Foreign language (compulsory)
    Group 4: choose any 1 or 2
    Group 3: if chosen 2 from Group 4, take the "third science" option, if possible
    Group 6: if chosen 1 from Group 4, take Biology, and take the "third science" option in Group 3, if possible
    Group 5: Maths (compulsory)

It should be noted that the IA's (internal assessments) of the sciences are incredibly time consuming, and may take up a lot of your focus on other subjects. I am also assuming that your EE (extended essay) will be based on one of the sciences, which is incredibly difficult to get a high mark in compared to EE's done in other subjects. Also, given that you have a massive science focus, it also narrows uni options as well as courses.

Saying all this, however, if you feel that you are up to the task, and you are genuinely much better in the sciences than the humanities or the arts, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.