Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Did music ever have a beat before rock and roll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Was everything before rock and roll pretty banal and boring?

ReputationRep:
    Even if classical/orchestral music isn't your cup of tea, there was still the blues and jazz which rock music came from - so no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSophist)
    No it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Tribal?

ReputationRep:
    Nope

:banana2:

ReputationRep:
    what about Jazz and Bleus ? of course when rock & roll showed up the world changed completly

ReputationRep:
    We've got a lot to thank Marty McFly for.

ReputationRep:
    Jazz ist rad.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I'm talking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahT94)
    what about Jazz and Bleus ? of course when rock & roll showed up the world changed completly
    you mean like this?

ReputationRep:
    As already mentioned, Rock evolved from a combination of elements from Rhythm & Blues, boogie woogie, gospel and swing music. All of which undeniably had a 'beat' to them.

The influence of country music on rock is rather downplayed. The first commercially successful Rock song in America, 'Rock Around the Clock' (1954) bears similarities to an earlier Hank Williams Snr song, 'Move on Over' (1947).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Nombre)
    As already mentioned, Rock evolved from a combination of elements from Rhythm & Blues, boogie woogie, gospel and swing music. All of which undeniably had a 'beat' to them.

The influence of country music on rock is rather downplayed. The first commercially successful Rock song in America, 'Rock Around the Clock' (1954) bears similarities to an earlier Hank Williams Snr song, 'Move on Over' (1947).

Good point. The Everly Brothers (though late 50s) were particularly influential to bands like The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, etc and they in turn had country influences.

ReputationRep:
    Listen to a lot of soul and motown myself and if you can't move to that you're doing it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think music had a beat before Rock 'N Roll.

Well I was gonna be all cool and post the Daft Punk song of the same name but apparently Youtube doesn't like me right now :P

ReputationRep:
    Definite facepalm thread.

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to point out that drums have been around since 6000 bc so erm lol...

ReputationRep:
    Scottish and Irish music has been around for thousands of years, stuff like the Rocky Road to Dublin...thats where rock n roll came from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Noise)
    I would just like to point out that drums have been around since 6000 bc so erm lol...
    I'm talking about music with a rhythm section and lead, not drums on their own

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about music with a rhythm section and lead, not drums on their own
    I don't quite get what your on about. Stringed instruments have been around since man discovered the bow and arrow and in many cultures have been used at the same time as drums.

The design of the instruments being played may have changed but the principles have always remained the same.

Rock n roll wasn't doing anything new in the 60s it was merely a progression from previous genres. Recording techniques at the time were also vastly improving allowing multi track recordings to take place for the first time. The first stereo recordings were also in the 60's.

Rhythm and blues has been around since the 1940's and the drum kit we know today had already taken form by the 1930's...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.