Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Does anyone know if you have to use a lecturer from your university as a referee for any postgrad app? or can you use a secondary school teacher who may have known you better as a person because i don't really know any of my lecturers and they would only be able to comment on a grade basis really

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Using a secondary school teacher is a seriously bad idea!!! A secondary school teacher may know your personality but they will be completely incapable of commenting on your university-level work, and your ability to be successful at postgraduate level. I can't think that any serious admissions people would take a reference from a secondary school teacher seriously.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Peytonn)
    Hello,

Does anyone know if you have to use a lecturer from your university as a referee for any postgrad app? or can you use a secondary school teacher who may have known you better as a person because i don't really know any of my lecturers and they would only be able to comment on a grade basis really

Thanks
    Technically you could use a secondary school teacher, I suppose, but I really wouldn't recommend it, because it would look extremely odd. People might start wondering why you couldn't find someone who has taught you a bit more recently to say anything positive about you.:erm:
    Your referee doesn't really have to know you 'as a person'. They only need to be able to assess the quality of your work and to tell whether you're a good student, a brilliant student or an OKish student. So it isn't essential for them to have taught you since year 1. Just pick someone who has taught you and whose research interests are close to what you want to apply for, go and see them during their office hour, explain that you'd like to do an MSc in X because you're interested in Y and that you were wondering whether they might write you a reference. If they agree (as they most likely will, unless they're either extremely busy or they do remember you and thought you were hopeless), offer to give them a copy of your proposal and a selection of your written work, to give them a better idea.
    It's not ideal, obviously, but it's definitely better than getting a referee whose information is bound to be at least three years out of date...

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem recently... hadn't really got to know any of my tutors or lecturers very well at university. But I think it's essential to use a uni reference. If you think how many students they have each year, they probably write references about people they can't remember all the time!

In the end I asked my dissertation supervisor and she did a really positive one, which paid off in the end

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.