Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevR94)
    You have given your opinion now justify yourself.
    Because democracy means rule by the people, even if they are incarcerated they are still people so should still be part of the democratic process.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be allowed to vote, as well as be given luxury cruises every summer and Sky TV in their cells on a 50" Sony Bravia. On top of this, I propse prisons being expanded to accomodate king size beds in every cell.

ReputationRep:
    No. They are in prison because they have been removed from society. They are not able to play an active role in society. Voting is an active role in society. So no they shouldn't be able to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    I think they should be allowed to vote, as well as be given luxury cruises every summer and Sky TV in their cells on a 50" Sony Bravia. On top of this, I propse prisons being expanded to accomodate king size beds in every cell.
    Im not the best with sarcasm. But im guessing you are against them getting a vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe3469)
    Because democracy means rule by the people, even if they are incarcerated they are still people so should still be part of the democratic process.
    So you think that someone who is in jail for say... rape or a pedophile can possibly be classified as a person?

ReputationRep:
    Im not the best with sarcasm. But im guessing you are against them getting a vote?
    :ninja: maybe

Spoiler:
    Show
    Correct, I'm against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    :ninja: maybe

Spoiler:
    Show
    Correct, I'm against it.
    haha, nice to see someone making sense.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the fact voting is a pointless waste of time, i could think of quite a few prisoners who are more in tune with this world than most and i would be happy to let them vote rather than 99% of the people in the street. Its already been said that voting should be a privilege not a right. I wouldn't care what crimes against society someone commits, i would have some sort of IQ test rather than law abiding citizens only system as most law abiding citizens are ****ing idiots.

ReputationRep:
    So you think that someone who is in jail for say... rape or a pedophile can possibly be classified as a person?
    Yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    No. They're in prison because they've had their freedom/liberty taken from them so why should they have the right to vote?!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do.
    How? They are already treated better than some people who live in places such as (some) caring homes. They should not be classed as humans or be given any rights. They do not deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    How? They are already treated better than some people who live in places such as (some) caring homes. They should not be classed as humans or be given any rights. They do not deserve it.
    That would be a dystopian society, human rights are inalieble they aren't earned or taken away.

ReputationRep:
    That would be a dystopian society, human rights are inalieble they aren't earned or taken away.
    They may not be earned but the are taken away the moment they commit the crime. Why would you want someone like a pedophile or murderer having a say in who ran the country you live in?

ReputationRep:
    They may not be earned but the are taken away the moment they commit the crime. Why would you want someone like a pedophile or murderer having a say in who ran the country you live in?
    Because everyone should have a say.

ReputationRep:
    Because everyone should have a say.
    But why should they have the right to have a say. What about those who they murdered? They wouldnt have a say.

ReputationRep:
    Those that break the law shouldn't have a right to then influence or make the law.

Part of prison is the loss of rights and voting is one of those rights.

ReputationRep:
    But why should they have the right to have a say. What about those who they murdered? They wouldnt have a say.
    That's a non-sequitir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Those that break the law shouldn't have a right to then influence or make the law.

Part of prison is the loss of rights and voting is one of those rights.
    I like your sig about conservatives against fox hunting, I thought Tories and bloodsport was like Labour voters and football.

ReputationRep:
    That's a non-sequitir
    How you said that those in jail should vote so that everybody can have their say. The people who's lives have been taken from them cant have their say.

ReputationRep:
    How you said that those in jail should vote so that everybody can have their say. The people who's lives have been taken from them cant have their say.
    Because I thought it was just a silly argument. They take away someone elses rights they should have theirs taken away. It's the old Two wrongs make a right/eye for an eye fallacy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.