Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Prisoners Vote. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much would having votes actually affect them if they're locked up? If they've got a sentence longer than the 4-5 years between elections it's not going to make that much of a difference to their life banged up surely? Plus, why should they be able to vote for how a society is run when they make contribute to making it worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    How much would having votes actually affect them if they're locked up? If they've got a sentence longer than the 4-5 years between elections it's not going to make that much of a difference to their life banged up surely? Plus, why should they be able to vote for how a society is run when they make contribute to making it worse?
    A vast number of people, criminal or otherwise, contribute to making society worse.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not. Disenfranchisement should be part of the prison experience. It's ridiculous to let convicts vote for the legislature. This nonsense about criminals' human "rights" needs to stop. It's absurd to let criminals participate in the elections of a society which they have actively undermined. Committing a crime serious enough to go to prison should be interpreted as a forfeiture of active citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    A vast number of people, criminal or otherwise, contribute to making society worse.
    Oh I know, but the others just don't do it illegally or don't get caught when they do.

ReputationRep:
    If you forget for a moment voting is useless and a complete waste of time due to all political parties being puppets for external financiers and other mega rich people. And democracy is an illusion.

In principle, EVERYONE should be allowed the vote. Regardless of age, gender, or whatever they may be "guilty of".
    For example not everyone agrees to all the laws there are. Yet these laws are enforced on them without the need for their consent. As a human being who simply exists that a pretty crappy thing to swallow if you think about it. People who don't consent to these laws may disregard them and be put in prison as a result.

In principle these people NEED, in a democracy to have the chance to vote for a party in which they are not considered criminals. Some of the laws are fairly arbitrary. so yes. Give all prisoners the vote! because after all there is no good and bad. just cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe3469)
    That would be a dystopian society, human rights are inalieble they aren't earned or taken away.
    Mores the pity for some of them.

Anyway no i do not think prisoners should have the vote, they have it too easy in prison as it is. Its supposed to be a deterrant and a punishment not a holiday camp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFextra)
    If you forget for a moment voting is useless and a complete waste of time due to all political parties being puppets for external financiers and other mega rich people. And democracy is an illusion.

In principle, EVERYONE should be allowed the vote. Regardless of age, gender, or whatever they may be "guilty of".
    For example not everyone agrees to all the laws there are. Yet these laws are enforced on them without the need for their consent. As a human being who simply exists that a pretty crappy thing to swallow if you think about it. People who don't consent to these laws may disregard them and be put in prison as a result.

In principle these people NEED, in a democracy to have the chance to vote for a party in which they are not considered criminals. Some of the laws are fairly arbitrary. so yes. Give all prisoners the vote! because after all there is no good and bad. just cultures.
    I cant believe anybody could come out with such a stupid comment. And there has so many stupid comments on the thread. Are you saying that my 3 year old cousin should have to vote? how on earth is a 3/4 year old (just a young child) supposed to know who to vote for?

Also you are saying that if someone dosent agree with a law shouldnt have to go to jail because they disagree with the law?

Such an idiotic thing to say. What sort of culture should a rapist or murderer or paedophile be allowed in? None is the answer

ReputationRep:
    another epic failure of the EU and its idea of human rights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevR94)
    I cant believe anybody could come out with such a stupid comment. And there has so many stupid comments on the thread. Are you saying that my 3 year old cousin should have to vote? how on earth is a 3/4 year old (just a young child) supposed to know who to vote for?

Also you are saying that if someone dosent agree with a law shouldnt have to go to jail because they disagree with the law?

Such an idiotic thing to say. What sort of culture should a rapist or murderer or paedophile be allowed in? None is the answer
    Having read a lot of your previous comments on this thread, I am unwilling to engage you in any form of debate I'm afraid. You're a bigoted, ignorant and philosophically unenlightened individual. not to mention arrogant.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFextra)
    Having read a lot of your previous comments on this thread, I am unwilling to engage you in any form of debate I'm afraid. You're a bigoted, ignorant and philosophically unenlightened individual. not to mention arrogant.

Peace.
    Weirdo, you may have read them but you obviously didnt understand them.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.