Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

From an evolutionary/biological perspective, were men ever meant to be feminine? watch

ReputationRep:
    these days it seems women are attracted mostly to feminine guys and the masculine guys are pumping with all their testosterone depserately wanting to have sex or have a girlfriend and cant get one.

from an evolutionary perspective, i thought guys were meant to be big, strong and manly for the women. certainly in cavemen times they were and even though we dont live in cavemen times anymore, our cavemen instincts should still be there, right? women should still be attracted to the big, strong type and guys the curvy, wide hipped, big breasted type, right?

before you say, yes i am well aware that everyone likes different things. but it seems 99.9% of women go for the feminine, skinny type and then all the masculine men go without any sex or girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    You got it all wrong boy...

ReputationRep:
    Unless by women you mean 16 year old girls then I think you're analysing the situation wrong.

ReputationRep:
    There are some packages which let you alter facial features to make them more "feminine" or "masculine"

I remember reading a paper which showed that males have preference for females with more feminised features
    Females have preference for male when their features are more feminised as well.

I've heard of studies about how females have preference for different types of facial features depending on their menstrual cycle but I haven't actually read any. I think this has some evolutionary explanation but I don't know it in detail.

ReputationRep:
    In an evolutionary theory the only thing men are meant to have is enough strength to hold her down for a few minutes and that'll be that.

ReputationRep:
    blame the media

ReputationRep:
    http://images.teamsugar.com/files/up...008/barbie.jpg

The answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    Our culture and society (and I don't mean that as just in Britain, I mean humans as a whole) have pretty much knocked out evolution...Medicine means that genetic diseases which should have been wiped out generations ago are still being passed on, etc.

I disagree with what you say about 99.9% of women being attracted to feminine, skinny guys, but I'll go along with it for the sake of argument...

Women don't need someone who's good at hunting, shelter-building etc any more, and might be more attracted to someone who will be a caring father to their children. Femininity in men might be a good indicator that he will be a caring father.

On the other hand, wide hips and large breasts are still a fair indicator of fertility in a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    In an evolutionary theory the only thing men are meant to have is enough strength to hold her down for a few minutes and that'll be that.
    Ahh the good days

ReputationRep:
    Haha.

To be fair, if you look at a 'generalised' attractive man these days, and ask him to take his shirt off, he's definitely going to be ripped and muscular.

ReputationRep:
    Would rep

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm actually studying the enlightenment at uni just now and how that period caused a shift and began to make some men more effeminate...yeah, I have quite a few friends that might be considered to have some feminine traits as you say, and have no problem getting women but they're not my type really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.