Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Technically its the university thats asked you to leave not the medical school - did you know that? Did you appeal directly to the university or did you just have a quick meeting with the medical school?
    If the second one is true then you did the wrong thing. How long has it been since they asked you to leave? Did you follow the university regulations? Did you go and get the support of your personal/pastoral tutor? Did you go and speak to student services? They dont have this information readily avaliable unless you go actively looking for it.

Theres a millon and one ways to appeal against the decision when they asked you to leave. If you explored all of them or gave up (you know where im going). If you really really have wanted to get back in then you would have done it.
    Trust me I did it. I appealed, then let it go to the official medical board and everything. I talked to my personal tutor, student services etc. before appealing.

Don't really want to focus on that now. I did everything I think I could for that appeal, and I want to move on now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Trust me I did it. I appealed, then let it go to the official medical board and everything. I talked to my personal tutor, student services etc. before appealing.

Don't really want to focus on that now. I did everything I think I could for that appeal, and I want to move on now.

I know people who have appealed for years and still got back in for less circumstances than what you are saying your circumstances are.
    Secondly if you think im being harsh - how do you think its going to be in the real world?

ReputationRep:
    I know people who have appealed for years and still got back in for less circumstances than what you are saying your circumstances are.
    Secondly if you think im being harsh - how do you think its going to be in the real world?
    I know. But they've got a lot tougher with appeals these days. Doesn't matter the appeal was rejected and there's nothing I can do about that.

As for you second comment, I'm not complaining that it wasn't fair or cursing them. I'm considering my options and thinking of how to progress now. This thread was never created to whether I deserved a second chance or not. It wasn't designed purely as a sympathy thread nor to I particularly care if people judge me.

Part of real life is suffering set backs, getting back up and trying again. Which is what I'm trying to do.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to get back on the horse, do it, but all means.

When you do reapply though, just be aware that they're more than likely to ask you about the reasons behind you dropping out. So you better be prepared to answer that in a good way.

ReputationRep:
    why could you not have re-sat the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I know. But they've got a lot tougher with appeals these days. Doesn't matter the appeal was rejected and there's nothing I can do about that.

As for you second comment, I'm not complaining that it wasn't fair or cursing them. I'm considering my options and thinking of how to progress now. This thread was never created to whether I deserved a second chance or not. It wasn't designed purely as a sympathy thread nor to I particularly care if people judge me.

Part of real life is suffering set backs, getting back up and trying again. Which is what I'm trying to do.

This is exactly what this thread is about.
    By asking if medical schools would accept you, you are asking whether you deserve a second chance. Therefore the thread has developed into just that.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what this thread is about.
    By asking if medical schools would accept you, you are asking whether you deserve a second chance. Therefore the thread has developed into just that.
    No it's not.

Some medical schools accept people in my position some don't. Hence I am asking. I'm not going to apply pleading for extenuating circumstances or anything. I am not asking whether they will, I am asking which.

I am asking for people's experience or knowledge about those who are in my situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon2010)
    why could you not have re-sat the year?
    nah they didn't let me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you could apply for a GEP if you haven't completed an undergrad degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    I had the feeling dentistry wouldn't want me to as I failed medicine. Might consider it, but to be frank I had my heart set on Medicine.

Thanks anyway. One of the reasons I'm thinking of doing a degree here anyway, then applying straight for abroad medicine is that. At least even if I don't get into medicine, I'll have a good degree.

Thanks for the response.
    I'm a failed dentist who's about to start medicine. It's not as if it can't be done, but it's really tough. Med schools will use any excuse to reduce the number of applicants they have to consider, and may look negatively upon your academic history. Best thing to do is phone up as many med schools as possible and ask if it will affect your application. Alternatively, study another degree and try for GEM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    Ok let's get things straight.

Your entitled to your views. I'm not making this thread to whether I deserve another chance or not. I want to apply regardless.

I did take medicine seriously. It's difficult not too. People make mistakes. I'm am in no way complaining it wasn't fair chucking me off the course.

The reason why they have adopted this sort of position is because of the limited medical places. In the past, they were willing to even allow students to re sit the year etc.

People who think Medicine students or even doctors can successfully distance their personal problems are mistaken. They may be able to get by still, but they are still like everyone else, and it's difficult for any of them not to let their personal problems affect them in any way. This is not anything to do with "not taking it seriously".

If I were to repeat my life again, I would have done another degree, then applied graduate. However I didn't forsee the problems I'd face that year, and they took me a bit by shock. I didn't handle them well.

However it is not wrong of me to consider my options now, and to ask for other people's advice. I couldn't frankly care whether you think it's a right policy or not. No reason to think any less of me, or to criticise me if I do decide to pursue this. It's my choice.
    It take's a lot of practice.
    My mother tried to commit suicide several time's during my final A2 exams, and i managed to shut out that. Although yes the damage of doing and being close to a complete nervous break down wasn't nice(waking up in the middle of the night with pure rage running through me, constant anxiety, severe sleeping trouble which affected my ADD even more so screwed my revision even more!).

I did manage to get the grades for University though!

But I also had a hell of a lot of determination to do it, literally put everything on the line to do it and ignore those crying out for help. The first and hopefully last time i have to do that.

Anyway, my point was it does take practice(and luckily for me i had a pretty hard child-hood to learn), but doing a degree for seven years, some form of personal problem is going to come up. You need to learn to shut things out because otherwise they are going to affect your degree, learning, ambition and dreams.

Kudos for retrying through and not giving up . Can be hard picking oneself up after a big fall like that.

It looks like your determination to do your degree has increased and I hope you suceed in finding another placement. Definitely keep trying, and if a Doctor is what you truely want to be, do not give up.

As someone said, everyone deserves a second chance, without question.

It may be worth seeing if oversea universities will let you do that first part of medicine, and then transferring to the UK to do the rest? Thus proving your abilities to do the course .

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP,
    I am in a similar situation, although I was in my second year and wasn't allowed to resit the year, even after an appeal. I have since then taken some time out to sort my head out and make sure I am in a situation where I can now deal with the challenges at university, and especially as medical school. I do have a 2:1 BSc in Molecular Medicine, but still want to be a doctor. I am applying abroad, but would ideally like to study in England still, so am planning to apply through UCAS once again. Could you possibly tell me either on here or via PM what the 4 medical schools are that have replied to you in reference to whether or not they accept previously failed medics. No one has replied to me yet. Thank you, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP,
    I am in a similar situation too, I am in my second year and wasn't allowed to resit the year, I am appealing for the covening of an appeal board. I want to apply abroad, but the costs are huge. so am planning to apply through UCAS once again.

The dental schools that replied said they would consider me only after a degree xpt for Leeds. Medicine : East Anglia said I could apply but people said failing a med school will not be looked at favourably

Could you possibly tell me either on here or via PM what the 4 medical schools are that have replied to you in reference to whether or not they accept previously failed medics

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP

I am in the same position and just curious which unis allow us failures to reapply? Also, is there a way of avoiding telling them that you actually did fail? I haven't filled in the UCAS form yet so haven't studied it thoroughly but I didn't see anything... wondering if there might be a slim chance you could get away without mentioning it. Obviously you would have a gap in your CV but sometimes you can be a bit vague about these things and change the subject!
    I know that the unis will probably know that you at least applied before and may know you got a place, but I thought they might assume that you chose not to take it up for some reason, as you're obviously applying again.
    Anyway any more info would be great - I know your post was a while ago so guess you may have already applied for 2012 - good luck if you have.

Sillydamascus

ReputationRep:
    Please could you tell me if you got in? I am in a similar situation and in fact failed first year Oxford. It would be really helpful if you could let me know which we're the uni's that said they would consider. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Please can you let me know which we're the four?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2013

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.