Two fuel trips in one day... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First stop Esso

Second stOp Tesco
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5579896906

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit half assed...

When i used to work on tills at ASDA people would come in with the big trolleys completely full of oil to fill up their old diesel engines...

About 5 times the amount you have...

I'm happy with petrol +70mpg though. Not too bad..
    And i've done 2 fuel trips in one day before but just because i have a small tank. Mine were both at the same petrol station before/after a 100+ mile round trip.

ReputationRep:
    Veg oil is cheap but not quite as cheap as this...

Don't have a diesel but do buy a few litres everytime i go shopping for a friend, currently have 50l sitting the garage. Looking at distilling your own bioethanol though, cheap as chips as long as you can get a reasonably priced feedstock. Engine needs a few mods and replacement rubbers & hoses but nothing too major.

ReputationRep:
    haha, I heard about that Tesco boo boo on the radio earlier! Damn I wish I had been there! Some employee is going to get their ass raped for that!

I have had to do two fill ups before, alas my fuel tank is neither small nor did I do that many miles. The A32 is just that good that I went through a tank of fuel in a few hours. Ho hum...

ReputationRep:
    It's not going to be long before the housewives start complaining the prices of cooking oil is too expensive

ReputationRep:
    why didnt you go to an indian food cash and carry and get 10/20 litre metal tubs of oil? much cheaper than supermarkets usually.

ReputationRep:
    Lately, that has not Been the case.

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could do the same, would save me quite a bit. common rail injection diesel engine bah..

ReputationRep:
    Ever notice that diesel drivers never talk about how powerful their cars are or how amazing the ride quality and the handling are? Neither do they talk about how good their interior is or how shiny their paintwork.
    Nope, all diesel drivers can talk about is fuel economy.
    Well, great...

I like watching them squirm when it's their turn to buy a round.

ReputationRep:
    My paintwork is peeling, the former Tiger stripe showing through, interior is daubed with gaffer tape and I'm skint!

ReputationRep:
    get a biofuel set up then!! turn mostly free waste oil into upto 2500 litres of tax free bio diesel.

ReputationRep:
    Haha wAste oil is never free!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Ever notice that diesel drivers never talk about how powerful their cars are or how amazing the ride quality and the handling are? Neither do they talk about how good their interior is or how shiny their paintwork.
    Nope, all diesel drivers can talk about is fuel economy.
    Well, great...

I like watching them squirm when it's their turn to buy a round.
    My diesel is pretty powerful (197ps from a 2.0L CR), has superb ride quality thanks to adaptive chassis control and fantastic handling for a front wheel drive. It's interior is stylish and the paintwork is immaculate.

Oh, and I get nearly 70 mpg on most journeys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashley1407)
    My diesel is pretty powerful (197ps from a 2.0L CR), has superb ride quality thanks to adaptive chassis control and fantastic handling for a front wheel drive. It's interior is stylish and the paintwork is immaculate.

Oh, and I get nearly 70 mpg on most journeys
    but your powerband is as big as a nats proverbial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    That's a bit half assed...

When i used to work on tills at ASDA people would come in with the big trolleys completely full of oil to fill up their old diesel engines...

About 5 times the amount you have...

I'm happy with petrol +70mpg though. Not too bad..
    And i've done 2 fuel trips in one day before but just because i have a small tank. Mine were both at the same petrol station before/after a 100+ mile round trip.

I dont have the money atm to buy that much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    but your powerband is as big as a nats proverbial.

This is true, though common rails have a slightly bigger power band.

But, there's no mistaking bhp output.. it can and will beat a petrol of lower or equal output if driven right.

Personally, I like my diesel because all the power is there without shredding my fuel economy but I'd be a fool to say that I chose it because of how it drives. The Focus chassis is superb but if fuel was no object I'd be all over the 2.0l zetec instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flibbles)
    This is true, though common rails have a slightly bigger power band.

But, there's no mistaking bhp output.. it can and will beat a petrol of lower or equal output if driven right.

Personally, I like my diesel because all the power is there without shredding my fuel economy but I'd be a fool to say that I chose it because of how it drives. The Focus chassis is superb but if fuel was no object I'd be all over the 2.0l zetec instead
    The torque would put a lot of higher power petrol cars to shame low down, then petrol wins on the top end.

Diesel is good round town. Fast road it is pretty uninspiring. Given that the majority of driving is town driving I can see the appeal for sure. I just can't bring myself to driving a diesel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

Diesel is good round town. Fast road it is pretty uninspiring. Given that the majority of driving is town driving I can see the appeal for sure. I just can't bring myself to driving a diesel!
    Indeed, going for a hoon on a country lane is not exactly the same in a diesel.. weaving gears for the power band takes the fun away. If it were a 6cyl BMW diesel with an auto gearbox it'd probably be fun, but for the rest of us...

For town driving and motorway usage it's fantastic, the power is always there if you're not at tickover (which is less efficient anyway with no turbo at those revs) and overtaking is effortless.

The only thing I don't like is the turbo lag which to be honest is only noticable in first gear.. if you floor the gas from low-ish revs you'll get nothing.. nothing.. then you get catapulted as it suddenly kicks in. In any other gear it has instant response and is very free revving for a dirty stinky diesel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flibbles)
    Indeed, going for a hoon on a country lane is not exactly the same in a diesel.. weaving gears for the power band takes the fun away. If it were a 6cyl BMW diesel with an auto gearbox it'd probably be fun, but for the rest of us...

For town driving and motorway usage it's fantastic, the power is always there if you're not at tickover (which is less efficient anyway with no turbo at those revs) and overtaking is effortless.

The only thing I don't like is the turbo lag which to be honest is only noticable in first gear.. if you floor the gas from low-ish revs you'll get nothing.. nothing.. then you get catapulted as it suddenly kicks in. In any other gear it has instant response and is very free revving for a dirty stinky diesel.
    Dad has a BMW 635d, that is pretty sublime round the country lanes, particularly with the flappy paddle gearbox, but the suspension lets it down as it is far too soft. It is a GT rather than something you can have fun in. Far too nose heavy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    Haha wAste oil is never free!
    your unlucky with your local restaurants. they all have to PAY a considerable amount of money to dispose of used oil so its in thier interests for you to take it.

I guess theres a massive pikey demand in your area upsetting the balance so the owners have decided to try and make some money out of it.

Still its going to be pennies a litre. rather than £1 a litre in a supermarket.

Knowing a friend who makes his own, for a £600 outlay on equipment and initial chemical set up, he is getting his end product biodiesel for about 30p a litre and he sells on what he doesnt use for a small profit.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.