Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Two fuel trips in one day... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    £600 set up? For the refinery? £50 more like! An old oil drum with a suspended filter set and a tap on the drum. That's all it needs.

ReputationRep:
    erm no. biodiesel is not just filtered vegetable oil!! have you looked it up?? you need the right chemicals and heat and condensor. vegetable oil on its own isnt as good as diesel, even in a smokey old landrover.

http://www.graham-laming.com/bd/ecos...iagram_new.htm

ReputationRep:
    Mine drives far better on veg out the bottle than it does on tesco ****e diesel

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it like illegal to use cooking oil as fuel ?

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    upto 2500 litres per year tax free. Even in a land rover, youd have to do a lot of miles to use that up.
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    Mine drives far better on veg out the bottle than it does on tesco ****e diesel
    even in winter???

ReputationRep:
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    your very lucky then as 99.99% of people with compatable engines struggle to use it in winter due to viscosity plus most people need to use a blend of diesel and oil to get the same performance.

biodiesel is cheaper too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh it's a blend 70/30 winter 50/50 summer. Just pour in the amount you filled up with at the pump

ReputationRep:
    so in that case, get a second hand heating tank and old oil barrels and about £50 of pipe fittings and make biodiesel that you can run you car on 100% at around 30p a litre. Youll save much more than using veg oil blends.

Im sure if you spend £150 on a waste carriers license then more restaurants will be willing to give you free oil. restaurants have to PAY to get rid of it usually. And unless you live in pikey central then i cant see how the local supply will be all used up. Even if you drive to a big town once a month and pick up 100 litres you should be fine.

makes financial sense to anyone with a older diesel let alone a student. once your up and running, 4 or 5 hours work for 100 litres of fuel is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    ok, i just checked the prices of vegetable oil in my local tescos as i went past the oils. costs £1.33 a litre. I really dont see why your bothering useing fresh vegetable oil for such a negligible saving??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    ok, i just checked the prices of vegetable oil in my local tescos as i went past the oils. costs £1.33 a litre. I really dont see why your bothering useing fresh vegetable oil for such a negligible saving??
    You can generally get it on offer at pretty much anytime if you shop between between asda/tesco/sainsburys's/lidl/aldi for £1 a litre. Nettos had 89p/l the other week. Or try wholesalers.

So you are looking at 40p saving/litre, pretty good IMO.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.