Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a good idea to lower the Voting age to 16 or at least 17?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18, and I don't feel responsible enough to vote and I'm fairly sensible. At 16, I don't think me or any of my friends would have known what we were voting for or why.

ReputationRep:
    But do you not think some people are respensible enough at 16?

ReputationRep:
    It's about time we had an upper limit on the voting age. Saying about 60.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizlaz350)
    I'm 18, and I don't feel responsible enough to vote and I'm fairly sensible. At 16, I don't think me or any of my friends would have known what we were voting for or why.
    My thoughts exactly. At 16 had I voted I'm quite sure I would have voted where my parents told me and would have been unsure about what I was even voting for.

ReputationRep:
    you can argue that the average 16 year old wouldn't have any idea about voting sensibly so whats the point of letting them vote but even when people are full blown adults lots of them don't have a clue about politics

at the end of the day an arbitry age has to be chosen. 18 is as good as any

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    I beg your pardon? Why the hell would you want the elderly to not have a say in the way the country is run?

As for the lower age limit, 18 is ideal as that is when the majority of people are responsible. At 16, I think most people find themselves a bit clueless as to who they should vote for.

As an aside, I'm going to vote for my first time next Thursday. Just thought you'd like to know.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. As somebody who is massively interested in Politics, there's no way at 16 I could have made a proper judgement. Maybe if Politics was a compulsory subject at Secondary School, but until then lowering the voting age will just lower turnout even further, which we hardly need.

ReputationRep:
    I would be happy to have voting at 16, as long as it was without some of the other rights at 18. In particular your parents should retain a legal responsibility for you, and decisions like having tattoos or buying alcohol should wait too.

ReputationRep:
    18 is the at which children are generally accepted to have become adults. Leave it as it is. Of course, the Greens want to change it to 16 because they'll get more votes, but then the Greens are stupid

ReputationRep:
    If you can pay tax, you should be allowed to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    I beg your pardon? Why the hell would you want the elderly to not have a say in the way the country is run?
    Too many senile old people. The Gillian Duffy type, who struggle to even comprehend what is going on around them, should not get the vote.

ReputationRep:
    Too many senile old people. The Gillian Duffy type, who struggle to even comprehend what is going on around them, should not get the vote.
    If they're competent enough to make it to the polling booth, then nothing's to stop them casting a vote. It's likely they have more wisdom and political knowledge than most 20-somethings.

ReputationRep:
    How can you possibly say that over 60s should not be allowed to vote when we live in a democracy you moron?
    Many people over the age of 60 have very strong political views and if you take into account that people are living longer and we have an ageing population, you would understand that elderly people are going to have a larger representation in elections than younger voters in the future.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by kevR94)
    But do you not think some people are respensible enough at 16?
    Some maybe be most not. At 16 I knew nothing of politics other than crap printed in the Daily Mail, I was no way near ready for the vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Hell no. As somebody who is massively interested in Politics, there's no way at 16 I could have made a proper judgement. Maybe if Politics was a compulsory subject at Secondary School, but until then lowering the voting age will just lower turnout even further, which we hardly need.
    Then you mustnt have been massively iterested in politics at 16 otherwise you would know who you wanted to vote for. Im just 17 and last year i could tell you who i wanted to vote for and probably always will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevR94)
    Then you mustnt have been massively iterested in politics at 16 otherwise you would know who you wanted to vote for. Im just 17 and last year i could tell you who i wanted to vote for and probably always will.
    Well no I wasn't interested at 16, and that's my point. Most 16 year olds aren't, and you're an exception. Like I said then, unless G&P is introduced as a compulsory subject in secondary school, it doesn't make sense to extend it to an age group who are, on the whole, massively disinterested in it.

ReputationRep:
    Well no I wasn't interested at 16, and that's my point. Most 16 year olds aren't, and you're an exception. Like I said then, unless G&P is introduced as a compulsory subject in secondary school, it doesn't make sense to extend it to an age group who are, on the whole, massively disinterested in it.
    I can see what you mean, certinly in my school, most people havent got a clue. However, when you introduce politics to students even as young as 15/16, they do usually get really passionate about it. Introducing a subject like that would mean that the voting age should be reduced to maybe 16. I think the subject should be compulsary aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Actually he's not an exception as I was interested in politics at the age of 15/16, so maybe it was just you who wasn't interested in politics and who read thode comic strip newspapers like the Sun and the Mirror.
    But I do agree that G&P should be compulsory and that people who refuse to vote because they can't be bothered should face a punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gardnera)
    Actually he's not an exception as I was interested in politics at the age of 15/16, so maybe it was just you who wasn't interested in politics and who read thode comic strip newspapers like the Sun and the Mirror.
    No need to get catty. Either way two anecdotal examples don't prove a rule, and statistically young people vote less than older people, and there's no logical reason why 16-18 year olds would be an exception to that rule.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.