Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16. I could join the army, if I earned enough money I would be taxed. It's now going to be increasingly difficult for me during university. The government affects all of our lives, even more so mine now. They could quite happily take away some of my money, but yet I have no say whatsoever and what it's spent on.

Yes, most 16 year olds don't know anything about politics, but then again neither do most 18 year olds. Personally, I think there needs to be much better political education in schools, or wherever else, so that at whatever the voting age is people actually know who, or what, they're voting for.

ReputationRep:
    No but if G&P was introduced in school then at least people who wanted to voice their opinion could at the age of 16/17. In addition I believe that people who don't care about politics at that age probably won't bother voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZoeMaloey)
    I'm 16. I could join the army, if I earned enough money I would be taxed. It's now going to be increasingly difficult for me during university. The government affects all of our lives, even more so mine now. They could quite happily take away some of my money, but yet I have no say whatsoever and what it's spent on.

Yes, most 16 year olds don't know anything about politics, but then again neither do most 18 year olds. Personally, I think there needs to be much better political education in schools, or wherever else, so that at whatever the voting age is people actually know who, or what, they're voting for.
    Couldnt agree more, some people do not realise how much politics effects their lives, even during their everyday buisness. If it was taught in schools i think the turn out for voting would certinly rise and the people who do vote will know what their voting for.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes.

The ones who didn't care wouldn't bother to vote, much the same as for everyone.

This said, I think the age at which all things become legal should be the same for simplicity sake. Although this is something I can be persuaded differently about.

ReputationRep:
    Some 16 year olds are extremely mature and intelligent compared to many 18 year olds. I feel the majority, however, are simply not aware of the consequences of voting enough to justify them being part of the electorate.

18 years old is a good age to be able to vote at, as it strikes a balance between new ideas and youthful enthusiasm, and a degree of maturity and comprehension of the issues involved.

I feel the answer to this question should be no.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.