Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have a couple of questions regarding an experiment I did which involved measuring the rate of anaerobic respiration in Yeast with different substrates, i.e.glucose, sucrose, maltose etc. Temperature was controlled throughout the experiment by using a waterbath.

Questions are as follows:
    Why did the rate of respirtion for each substrate stay constant?
    What would be a suitable control?
    Explain why you would get anomalies in results?
    Explain how the temperature in the air could affect the results?

Thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by saadra)
    Hi
    I have a couple of questions regarding an experiment I did which involved measuring the rate of anaerobic respiration in Yeast with different substrates, i.e.glucose, sucrose, maltose etc. Temperature was controlled throughout the experiment by using a waterbath.

Thanks.
    Tell us what your thoughts are, we're not here to do your homework for you

Once you explained what your thoughts are, we'll try and help you build on them

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    I HAVE NO CLUE

A test tube with just the yeast suspension solution??

student errors, equipment/apparatus malfunction

Enzymes work better at an optimum temperature, change in temperature could cause the rate of anerobic resperation to slow down? or if the temperature gets too high, the enzymes could denature.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I HAVE NO CLUE

A test tube with just the yeast suspension solution??

student errors, equipment/apparatus malfunction

Enzymes work better at an optimum temperature, change in temperature could cause the rate of anerobic resperation to slow down? or if the temperature gets too high, the enzymes could denature.
    Rate of reaction will be the same if something else is limiting it, other than the substrates, this could be the amount of enzymes present, the pH, temperature ect ect.

I wouldn't say student/human errors, because they happen all the time, and are irrelevant. A better thing to say is measurements are subjective(for example, you are waiting for a solid to form, different people will say it is formed at different stages/some people have faster reactions then others).

Your answer is fine here, but I highlighted the bit in bold, you will sometimes have to specify whether a hotter temperature will increase the rate of reaction, or a colder temperature will decrease the rate of reaction ect ect.(P.S your answer was fine )

Hope that helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.