Turn on thread page Beta

How to people cope with being on dole? watch

ReputationRep:
    This thread has made me laugh numerous times.

first advice how to live on dole

second some guy posting oh I slept in till 3pm thats how I coped.... oh wait.

That sums up my life. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAARRRRk kkkk

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, getting employed is tougher than ever , keep going though perhaps you could always look into something regarding self employment perhaps? Could be an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Adopt the proud-yet-parsimonious disposition of an obscure literary critic until your savings run out, then cry yourself into a seizure.

Speaking hypothetically, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknwnEntity)
    Protip:

Work as a careworker for the elderly, the industry is always growing and there is especially a demand for male care workers.

I've been doing it for 8 months now and I get paid £7 an hour plus they paid for me to do an NVQ level 2 (every little helps on the CV). It's just a stop job for me but great experience and I'm taking home £1k a month after tax.
    how many hours a week do you work?

This sounds pretty good actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwsomePossum)

Awesome wouldn't be word i'd use. It's really tough work, depends what type of work though lots of different roles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captshiznit)
    Awesome wouldn't be word i'd use. It's really tough work, depends what type of work though lots of different roles.
    Yeah my mum used to do it back in the day she has some horror stories about it
    My aunties still in it now tho I want a job i can get at 16 to tide me over until im old enough for the military police

ReputationRep:

Yeah my mum used to do it back in the day she has some horror stories about it
    My aunties still in it now tho I want a job i can get at 16 to tide me over until im old enough for the military police
    It isn't that bad. Certainly the calls aren't all my clients are fine, it's mostly the agency that is a pain in the arse, they often try to pile calls on you but since I put my foot down and stood up for myself they have stopped doing that and I have a reasonable rota every week.

When I first started I was working 6 days a week and earning about £300 a week after tax but I now only work 4 a week earning £200 a week after tax. (I have a 3 day weekend )

ReputationRep:
    When I was on the dole, I did a lot of volunteering

ReputationRep:
    It isn't that bad. Certainly the calls aren't all my clients are fine, it's mostly the agency that is a pain in the arse, they often try to pile calls on you but since I put my foot down and stood up for myself they have stopped doing that and I have a reasonable rota every week.

When I first started I was working 6 days a week and earning about £300 a week after tax but I now only work 4 a week earning £200 a week after tax. (I have a 3 day weekend )
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Well 16. I'd definitely reccomend it because it'll be a good life learning experience for you. Me however im 23 and already and done my fair share of it so no more for me thanks.

ReputationRep:

Presumably this involves bathing old men and cleaning up their ****. Are you honestly saying you don't mind doing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Presumably this involves bathing old men and cleaning up their ****. Are you honestly saying you don't mind doing that?
    I've been working as an HCA, at start it's just wrong. But in a weird way you get used to it and don't bat an eyelid. I'll wipe your ass for you even wouldn't bother me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    It honestly doesn't happen very often. Nearly 90% of my clients calls involve prompting medication and preparing meals. You do have to do personal care but you don't "bathe them", they do it themselves you just make it safe and enable them to do it. You always have a pair of gloves on too, it's really ****ing easy and you get used to it. Mostly the job is just ensuring social needs are met, nearly all of them are independent enough to wash and dress themselves. Either way, when I have to, no I don't mind doing it. It can also be very rewarding helping people live happy lives.

A job is a job, its great on the CV, it's a stop job I'm earning £2.8 above minimum wage and got a free qualification that can let me get my foot in the door of the NHS if I wanted to, and excellent experience. Which is better than a majority of other young people with degrees, and I can confidently say I've learnt a lot doing it

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.