Turn on thread page Beta

Does car insurance have to be in the same name as the registered owner? watch

ReputationRep:
    So I just need to know, can I buy the car in my name and then let my sister insure it with me as a named driver? Thanks.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    Yes, the car can be reigstered to yourself and placed on another persons policy.
    If you phone an Insurer or run through an online insurance quote you will always be asked "who is the registered keeper of the car?".
    It is not automatically assumed/deafaulted that the Policy holder is the registered keeper of the car.

edit:
    I assume your strategically doing this to get a lower insurance premium?
    The downside is you will not be building up your own drivers profile however your sister will be.

I'm sure you wont be doing this and that you already know but just in case; "Fronting".....
    Fronting is fraud and is when someone has been classed as the Named Driver and yet uses the car more than the Main Driver.
    As your sister is the policy holder she will be the Main Driver and is expected to use the car the most i.e. at least 51% of the time since there is only going to be one Named Driver (yourself).
    If you are going to be using the car the most you have be the Policy Holder / Main Driver.
    Yeah I've been reading about that fronting. I wonder how I can get caught if I use the car more?

And I would be doing it to get a lower price. Do you know anywhere that normally quote low prices for 17 year olds because the prices I have been getting are ridiculous and I just can't afford what they're saying.

One last thing, if I go on my sisters insurance I know I won't be building my drivers profile but say after a year we stop her insuring the car with me as a named driver and then I get my own but I'm a year older, my insurance should be lower; shouldn't it? I mean I wouldn't mind just going on hers for a couple of years and then getting my own when it'd be cheaper.

(Original post by Arcanine)
    Yeah I've been reading about that fronting. I wonder how I can get caught if I use the car more?

And I would be doing it to get a lower price. Do you know anywhere that normally quote low prices for 17 year olds because the prices I have been getting are ridiculous and I just can't afford what they're saying.

One last thing, if I go on my sisters insurance I know I won't be building my drivers profile but say after a year we stop her insuring the car with me as a named driver and then I get my own but I'm a year older, my insurance should be lower; shouldn't it? I mean I wouldn't mind just going on hers for a couple of years and then getting my own when it'd be cheaper.
    It'll be cheaper, but with insurance going up as quickly as it is (particularly for girls with the new EU legislation) it won't be anything like what you'd get if you had one years no claims. In fact this year I expect it will actually increase if you go for a year without getting no claims.

As far as getting caught, if you have an accident and you say you were driving to school/college/university/work/wherever else you go that might be a regular thing, your insurance company will instantly seize upon that and try to prove that you were actually the main driver of the vehicle. If the main driver on the policy has access to another vehicle and is away at work or whatever at the same time, this will be very easy for them. This is why I don't like people fronting. It's very easy to do because insurance companies don't care as you sign up - you give them the money and they know they won't have to pay out. But when it comes to making a claim they will do everything they can to avoid paying out. So then you're effectively driving without insurance, meaning more than 6 points and therefore a lost license (and any extra fines, court costs, and I believe a criminal record), and the person you crash into has no one to claim from and so has to foot the bill themselves.

It's a dangerous game to play and I implore anyone to try and shop around for insurance, or get a car that's worth £200 and use that instead. I've also read on here lately about getting a larger car like a saloon or a larger hatchback which have lower associated premiums because younger drivers don't roll around in those kinds of cars very often. Just try everything to play it by the book, build up NCB and drive around knowing that you're covered for every eventuality.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but it bumps up the premium a bit!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.