Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

This is what I was given today on test which I completely misjudged. I'm not saying its his fault I failed as it isn't but this corner seems a bit extreme which I told him but he practically shouted that he was just trying to help me when he did the debrief at the end. He was rude for the entirety of the test.

Are they actually allowed to give a corner like this for a left reverse?

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    oh dear i'm a learner and i have never done a left corner reverse on a bend lyk that its too tight

it can be done but it would be really difficult to do properly especially for a learner

ReputationRep:
    I guess you'd just have to go incredibly slowly, maybe go back a lot further than you normally would?

ReputationRep:
    What I'd do personally is try sneak going a bit wider than I normally would so that you have more leeway so that you dont hit the curb/go wide.

I lol'd at those people looking at you taking a picture of a road.

And yes of course they're allowed to give you that. A corner is a corner.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it s legal to take a corner reverse on this road but i must admit it does look a little sharp bend corner..

ReputationRep:
    It does look tight. If you misjudged it, I'm sure your allowed to pull forward and reverse again.

ReputationRep:
    They can, yes, even though the majority of examiners would give you a smoother bend in the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenightisyoung-soarewe)
    It does look tight. If you misjudged it, I'm sure your allowed to pull forward and reverse again.
    I did try and ask but he flat out refused.

Wasn't exactly constructive either when I was making a mess of it he said "Ok stop there, there's no point in continuing".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fergo)
    Are they actually allowed to give a corner like this for a left reverse?
    Of course they are. It's a corner on a public road: the kind of corner that anyone with a licence should be expected to negotiate forwards or backwards with reasonable competence without mounting the pavement or steering onto the wrong side of the road. It's hardly rocket science.

If it's on an official test route, then hundreds if not thousands of other test candidates will have experienced that same corner.

Rather than questioning whether roads and junctions are "too hard", it would be more constructive to improve your skill so that you can perform any task asked of you with ease.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly can't see any problem with that corner at all. It's a standard 90 degree job. What were you expecting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fergo)
    I did try and ask but he flat out refused.

Wasn't exactly constructive either when I was making a mess of it he said "Ok stop there, there's no point in continuing".
    I guess it just depends on your examiner, sounds like you got a horrible one. On my 2nd test I got a left reverse and the guy was ok with me trying again. Some are nicer and more patient than others.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor made me practise those on test. You reverse back then turn loads in one go instead of gradually to get round it tightly. So I judged the corner before deciding which method to use etc.

ReputationRep:
    On a 'tight' left rev, start reversing back from further out into the road, about 1m from the kerb, and maintain that distance as you approach the turning point which will be slightly later than if 'following' a 'sweeping' LR. At the turn point, slow to an almost stop as you apply full left lock and look around to see it safe to allow the car to sweep out. The extra distance from the kerb should allow the car to make the turn and leave you 1/2m from the kerb in the new road when you've straightened, providing you turned at the correct point and applied the steering effectively.

ReputationRep:
    there's nothing wrong with that, the examiner on my test made me do one where the street around the bend was up hill and it was even tighter like 100 degrees

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.