Turn on thread page Beta

Comparing relationships.. watch

ReputationRep:
    A bit of a random thread here, but something I think about sometimes is the extent at which we compare new and past relationships.....

Having not had many relationships, I don't have a lot to compare too but what about you guys...?

Do you compare your present/new relationships with past relationships or start from scratch everytime on a fresh page??

Just curious I suppose....

ReputationRep:
    There's a quote from Lethal Weapon 4 ("you are not better friends then froggy, you are just different") which sums up this topic up beautifully.

I won't copy and paste the whole thing because you need to understand it context

Well, it'd be nice to think that everyone does start from scratch each and every time and for some people it may even be possible but when I think about it, to what extent is it really possible to wipe a part of your life completely from your memory? A relationship is usually quite a significant part too for most people (I'd like to think) and just because someone is not in your life anymore doesn't necessarily mean their thoughts go away.

In my opinion, it is bad to compare present and past relationships but I do also think it happens on a sub-conscious level and you can't help it because one little event could trigger a memory and you might find yourself thinking "but it wasn't like this with her/him" or "wow, I'm not used to this.. with her/him it was always like...." but these tend to be just passing thoughts and thoughts that come to you before you know you are thinking them.

I know that from my experience, I don't want to compare because I wouldn't like to be compared myself (UNLESSS I come out on top in every single way.. then yeah, go ahead. Compare to your heart's content but statistically speaking, that is unlikely) but there is a small part of me that ends up doing it sometimes even consciously. I feel guilty about it afterwards especially if I start to miss my ex because of the differences in now and then (not that I am unhappy now but obviously if you were with something, it is inevitable you will miss the little things that were personal to that person) but like I said the thought comes to me before I know I've thought it and then I can't make it go away as instantaneously as I would like. But to a point, I think its sort of natural to compare or atleast realise what is different.

*someone not something

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.