Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really had my heart set on going to Durham but despite being predicted straight A*s I got rejected, someone said this could be to do with my GCSE grades? Apparently they measure you against your school's average, so although I got 7A*s and 5As at GCSE, I think this might have been the reason I got rejected...(lots of people at my school get straight A*s). Also I didn't get the A* in Maths, so even though I want to apply for English and got A*s in that, is that a problem?

Would getting straight A*s in June and reapplying with those cancel out the fact that my GCSEs aren't as good as other people's in my year? Or should I think about retaking them? (I'm taking a gap year).

(btw i know how competitive Durham is for English, I'm just interested to know if the GCSEs could have been a big problem in my application :/)

ReputationRep:
    The worth of GCSEs in the admissions process is rather overstated on TSR to be honest. Focus on your A levels and reapply if you wish, leave GCSEs alone cos they are rather pointless unless they are specifically required for your course.

ReputationRep:
    No...7A* wouldnt have been an issue and if u retake them it definetly wouldnt help as you have to state the year of examination. If you had many resits that couldve been the reason? Or your personal statement might have not shown enthusiasm. If u had u interview you might have come across as someone with lack of enthusiasm, potential etc. When appying for competitive courses at interview (if u had one) when posed with a question you shouldnt answer it you should explore and your eyes should light up at the chance to talk about your subject. Lastly...you may have just been unlucky the admissions tutor may have just been in a bad mood.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are getting too worried, i think you could have got into Cambridge or Oxford with those grades, might be done to Personal statement or even an interview who some uni's do.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.